Re: [Epic] Thousand sons, useless?

From: David Lado <lado_at_...>
Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 10:58:12 -0400 (EDT)

>While reading the FAQ in the battles book I realized that the
>thousand sons are pretty useless. Why?
>
>Because it says that unless all units in a detachment are stubborn
>the detachment don't get to reroll failed leadership tests.
>They go on to point out that this is no problem for space marines
>since they're all stubborn, including vehicles, as per the army
>list.
>However the thousand sons are in trouble. They can't take
>a commander (Lord or Tzeentch sorcerer!) since he's not stubborn.
>They can't take bikes and they can't take ANY support units since
>none of those are stubborn. Strictly by the rules they can't even
>get rhino upgrades since CSM rhinos aren't stubborn.
>
>This is especially anoying since SM rhinos, landraiders etc cost
>the same and are all stubborn.

Heh, heh. This is really rich! I wonder why they did this? Was
it a deliberate desire to see the TS fielded in pure, unsupported
detatchments?

>Going further I found that although supreme commanders grant
>nearby troops the stubborn ability the supreme commander is not
>stubborn. Unless you take the view that he's a HQ within 30 cm
>of himself and therefore grants himself stubborn, wierd.

Why wouldn't you take this view? That is, what in the rules would
make you think that he is exempt from his own bonuses? Anyway,
it would be pretty damn silly to say the supreme commander wasn't
stubborn.

>Maybe this is a question for the primarchs? Somehow you get the
>feeling they made sure that SM worked fine with the stubborn ability
>and forgot about the thousand sons.

I think at very least they should be able to pay to upgrade their
commanders (and the sorcerer), if not their tanks as well.

David