Re: [Epic] two Epic systems vs Ancients

From: Alan Brain <aebrain_at_...>
Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 02:00:44 -0700

E. Sund wrote:

> system are you describing? Are they 6mm or 15mm? As I understand it
> there are several models per base. Does each model represent 1 soldier or
> more? How many models would a typical battle actually use (per side)?

1. 25mm, 15mm or 6mm. The rules cover all of the above. All that changes
is the scale on the table and the sizes pf the bases.

2. Mostly 3-4 figures per base ( Elephants and artillery, normally 1 per
base, Light Infantry and Cavalry 2 per base).

3. Each figure represents at least 100 actual troops.

4. In DBA (the simple system) each army has 12 units. That is, 12 bases
of troops. For example, maybe 4 bases of Spears (4 to a base), 2 of
Auxilia (3 per base), 2 of Cavalry (3 per base), 2 of Light Infantry (2
to a base), 1 Light Cavalry (2 to a base) and an Elephant or whatever.
In DBM, you're typically talking about 100 bases or so, call it 250-300
figures on average.

> If you could lend me a hand with understanding the nature of this system,
> I would be most grateful. I suppose I should just go down to the local
> hobby shop and ask, but after work and classes, I don't have a lt of
> opportunites to reach it when it is open. Can you help me out? Thanks a
> heap!

The best thing to do would be to go to the DBM home page, or look for
"Wargames Research Group" "De Bellis Antiquitatis" using your favourite
search engine. Alas my bookmark file died 2 days ago... but in the old
backup, I found http://tetrad.stanford.edu/DBM.html/ so try this.

--
100026.2014 compuserve o OO*O^^^^O*OO o oo     oo oo     oo
See http://www.z-world.com/graphics/z/master/8856.gif for picture