RE: [Epic] GW BOYCOTT (MUST READ IMEADIATELY) (fwd)

From: Miller, Chris <CMiller_at_...>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 1997 10:14:06 -0500

It will cut into other businesses that toe the proverbial GW line. It
fosters the idea that the figs are overpriced. GW extends that status
as a
courtesy, and if they want to revoke it, they can do so. If it were a
franchise situation, they would be prohibited from setting prices for
the
franchise. However, in this situation, they can put pressure on the
shops
by removing a source of free advertising.

Temp

----> I'd really like to hear from some shop owners as to how much
difference this special status really makes. There are 3 or 4 game
stores around here within 15 minutes drive. Anyone interested in a game
goes to one of them, and if one doesn't have what you want, you order
it or go to the next one. Is an ad in WD really going to boost your
business? If I have a WD to look at, I either
A) bought it myself at a store which has GW products (like WD)
        or
B) borrowed it from a friend who will tell me where he gets his stuff
locally.

I have a degree in management, so I understand how some of this works,
and free advertising is fine, but those little inserts in WD listing
10000 stores are not exactly tapping new markets. Free store displays
might be nice, but is that part of the deal, or do they pay for those
regardless of status? They're going to sell you figures regardless, and
if you run a decent store people are going to buy them there. If you
want to discount them that should be your call, but you can't complain
too loudly if GW says "we will anoint you as a special store if you
follow these rules" and then you go and break those rules. You knew the
deal going in. I think the latest prices are nuts, but I remember when
boxed sets were $50, not $70 and we thought they were nuts then too.
One thing I am glad to see is an increasing (seems to me anyway) outcry
against these price ups, and some real alternatives finally coming out,
like Warzone, etc. Be intersting to see how it goes...

Chris Miller