Re: [Epic] painting marines

From: sauron1 <sauron1_at_...>
Date: Sat, 07 Jun 1997 00:26:46 -0700

Andy Skinner wrote:

> I know there have been postings about this recently, but I only
> caught some of 'em.
>
> I'm getting ready to paint some marines, and am trying to decide a
> few things.
>
> First, I've decided to use the new bases. This surprised me--I had
> assumed I'd use the many old bases I've got. I won't be rebasing
> many, I really didn't have that many infantry stands painted. The
> ones I did have had three guys on each stand, in various of the five
> holes. I've decided to go ahead and use 5 per stand (it's not like
> I don't have enough marines), and the look of 5 guys in that same
> pattern everywhere isn't as nice as the 5 in a slightly-varying line.
> They should also be a little easier to paint. (Only a little easier,
> because I never painted them on the stands before. I white-glued
> them onto a popsicle stick in a row and painted them on that, painted
> the stands green, then glued them in and touched up the stands and
> the areas around the guys' feet, and flocked 'em.) I haven't decided
> about bikes yet. I hadn't painted any, but I hate reducing the
> number of stands I've got because GW said I needed more figures per
> stand. I may put two on a wider base than the old infantry stands,
> for the sake of enemies trying to close combat them. I don't know.
>
> The marines I've painted so far have not been from any particular
> chapter. They start out a pretty bright green, but with washing
> (which has never worked well for me) end up darker. I chose it
> because it seemed to make more sense on the battlefield than bright
> red or whatever, but was still not a strict camouflage kind of color.
> I find that green miniatures don't look all that great on the green
> grass mat, though.
>
> I'm not sure whether I'll reuse the painted marines I've already
> got. Some are painted and flocked (though 3 to a stand--I have
> already wondered about how to clean out the clear coat, flocking,
> glue, paint, and primer to glue more painted figures into the
> wholes), some are painted and still on the popsicle sticks. If
> I stick with the same color (not sure now), I may reuse them. But
> I had painted one shoulder pad on each marine so that they were
> grouped by colors into 2nd edition detachments. I had three colors,
> making up one company. I never really liked those colors, and the
> organization has changed, so I'll either be painting over the
> shoulders with green or some other color, or just starting from
> scratch. I do want to try a different washing technique, so that
> wouldn't be too bad.
>
> Do you paint the trim on the marines' shoulder pads? If so, how?
> I'm sure I couldn't do it for that many marines without messing up
> quite a few of 'em.
>
> Finally, I do need to pick a different color scheme for a different
> project. I'm starting my army of individually based epic figures for
> use in an "epic scale" skirmish level game. (I'll probably start
> [...]

Sauron1 writes;Repainting Epic 2nd figures is a project that I have been
up to for a while now.I used Humbrol enamels orriginally so I reprimed a
lot of them with a can of (forgive me)GW primer! This and a similar
product fron Ral-Partha are a very fine mist and cover but do not clog up
even epic scale figures. I did respray some with an automotive touchup
can from Canadian Tire (here in Canada)Eather process worked reasonably
well.Then again I had 20 companies of 20 Epic stands each company to
do!(My old group had an"if you dont really have it paintted,you don,t
really have it to deploy on the table!" philosophy!)I can,t see that well
to paint the rim on an epic SM anymore.My sons earlier this year
convertted all my spare epic terminators to a version of Epic Space
Hulk.It played well and got a lot of hits on the discussion group.
        sauron1