Re: [Epic] [E40K] Squats -- different list

From: Aaron P Teske <Mithramuse+_at_...>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 19:20:54 -0400 (EDT)

Excerpts from Epic: 10-Jun-97 Re: [Epic] [E40K] Squats --.. by David
Lado_at_...
> I say get rid of all the special rules. Just make overlords skimming
> WEs and forget they ever flew.

Yeah, but the reason GW started to introduce multi-level flyers in the
first place is that they couldn't see the Overlord down near the ground,
much less having the pop-up ability of a skimmer!

OTOH, I am planning to drop most of the special rules, like the +15 cm
to range & stuff like that. Still no assaults, though. Basically, say
they're flying at the height GW has the skimmers pop up to... that
doesn't add anything to the range, but it lets evrything see the skimmer
and vice-versa. Since GW doesn't define that height, it should work
out, or players can define their own height... these *are* house rules
after all.

Alternately, make players use 15-25cm high flying stands for the
Overlords, and measure distances from model to model. ^_-

>It's also possible to get rid of the
> special critical rules by using existing rules. For example:
>
> To represent the old airbags save, give the overlord a regular save.
> Give the overlord armor of 6 to represent its toughness.
> The critical table has only 1 result: catastrophic damage.
>
> This represents the general toughness of the overlords while still
> giving them that chance (1 in 36 per die in this case) that one
> lucky shot will sneak through a flame the whole thing. And no new
> special rules.

No. Two words: Death Ray. That was one of the really fun/totally
infuriating things about Overlords which I will *not* let go away: their
ability to (usually) completely ignore the super-shots, like Magnus'
Beam of Power or a Volcano Cannon, while later falling to a single
bolter shot your opponent fired because he had nothing better to shoot
at.

I'm still not completely certian whether I'd prefer a 4+ fixed save,
with more damage when that fails, or just no save and less damage on the
crit. table. I think I'll just shut up on the issue for a day or two,
and actually let people speak their parts without my interference....
^_^;;;

                    Aaron Teske
                    Mithramuse+_at_...