Re: [Epic] [E40K] Squats -- After Review:

From: David Dresser <lemming_at_...>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 08:48:41 -0700

duckrvr_at_... wrote:

> At 06:37 AM 6/11/97 -0700, you wrote:
>
> >My point was that the points cost should reflect the unique combination
> >of indirect fire and mega-cannon, I don't think that it is an inherently
> >undesirable thing.
> >
> >Are you proposing a special rule to allow the goliath to fire hvy.
> >barrages every turn?
>
> Actually, I was referring more to WE stats. I suppose the special rule
> would be a possibility, but mostly I am unhappy about the potential
> devastating effect of a horde of mega-cannons that can hit anything on the
> board and prep-fire. Frex, 3 Goliaths will place 4 barrage templates
> automatically in the pre-fire phase (one for each + one for SHWs inflicting
> a casualty - you know they will hit at least one thing). That would take
> about 8 regular arty pieces (assuming 4 units/template, 32 total fp, in 2
> salvos, needed to cause 4 BMs), which would only cause slightly more damage.
> At 3 units per template ( a more reasonable numbe) it would take 12 (2
> salvos of 6*3=18fp).
>
> I'm sure I don't have to explain how doing major damage to a unit and having
> a 2/3 chance to pin it out of the gate is devastating. With a handful of
> Goliaths you can pin a huge portion of your opponent's army. Remember also
> that they are SHWs and can split fire however they wish, so with 3 of them,
> you could put 1-2 (probably 2) BMs on 3 different units. Some degenerate
> would no doubt take 5 or 6 and Voila! you have the amazing stump army. They
> are pinned to the point they can't move, and out of range of all their weapons.
>
> Temp

I see these as arguments to make the goliath fairly expensive, but not
to eliminate the unit entirely. Fast units which aren't pinned will
make short work of the goliath in close combat, it has a reasonably
large minimum range. Or use flying transports to put troops nearby.
Many small detachments can't all be pinned. Would you use a death ray
to obliterate something worth as much as a superheavy tank? I think so.

The goliath can have a fairly substantial effect, no argument there.
The trick is to make the points worth this effect. 80? 100? What's
your number? I commented earlier that it should be bumped from 65 to
80, but I hadn't taken into account the number of blast markers it
places. Now I'm thinking that it's worth about 90, like a kind of a
siege artillery married to a night spinner.

-Lemm