Re: [Epic] [E40K] Squats -- After Review:

From: David Lado <lado_at_...>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 22:57:34 -0400 (EDT)

>>My point was that the points cost should reflect the unique combination
>>of indirect fire and mega-cannon, I don't think that it is an inherently
>>undesirable thing.
>>
>>Are you proposing a special rule to allow the goliath to fire hvy.
>>barrages every turn?
>
>Actually, I was referring more to WE stats. I suppose the special rule
>would be a possibility, but mostly I am unhappy about the potential
>devastating effect of a horde of mega-cannons that can hit anything on the
>board and prep-fire.

The squat army list definity has the potential (indeed, the likelyhood)
of fielding hordes of mega-cannons. The fact that most of them are on
WEs will limit their ability to be used in prep-bombardment (only
Goliaths will be able to that), but they will still be able to do major
damage in terms of BMs. However, I think this is OK because

1 It's the squat schtick. They should have lots of nasty arty.
2 The price of the units should reflect their ability and availability
   (so it's very good that the availability issue be brought up!)
3 It helps counter-balance the situation where the squats will have a
   max of 1 psycher in their army. They will always be giving up a +1
   to their enemy because of the psychers, but they will get it back by
   being able to pile on blast markers on selected detachments.

>I'm sure I don't have to explain how doing major damage to a unit and having
>a 2/3 chance to pin it out of the gate is devastating. With a handful of
>Goliaths you can pin a huge portion of your opponent's army. Remember also
>that they are SHWs and can split fire however they wish, so with 3 of them,
>you could put 1-2 (probably 2) BMs on 3 different units.

I think I am missing the point here. Any detatchment can split fire as it
likes (see page 16: "splitting fire"). So a detachment with 12 FP can
target one detachment and put 1 BM on it, or it can split it's fire over,
for example, 3 detachments and inflict 0-3 BMs. It runs the same risks
and gains the same advantages as splitting any number of SHV weapons over
several detachments.

David