Re: [Epic] [E40K] Squats -- After Review:

From: <duckrvr_at_...>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 09:41:44 -0500

At 06:37 AM 6/11/97 -0700, you wrote:

>My point was that the points cost should reflect the unique combination
>of indirect fire and mega-cannon, I don't think that it is an inherently
>undesirable thing.
>
>Are you proposing a special rule to allow the goliath to fire hvy.
>barrages every turn?

Actually, I was referring more to WE stats. I suppose the special rule
would be a possibility, but mostly I am unhappy about the potential
devastating effect of a horde of mega-cannons that can hit anything on the
board and prep-fire. Frex, 3 Goliaths will place 4 barrage templates
automatically in the pre-fire phase (one for each + one for SHWs inflicting
a casualty - you know they will hit at least one thing). That would take
about 8 regular arty pieces (assuming 4 units/template, 32 total fp, in 2
salvos, needed to cause 4 BMs), which would only cause slightly more damage.
At 3 units per template ( a more reasonable numbe) it would take 12 (2
salvos of 6*3=18fp).

I'm sure I don't have to explain how doing major damage to a unit and having
a 2/3 chance to pin it out of the gate is devastating. With a handful of
Goliaths you can pin a huge portion of your opponent's army. Remember also
that they are SHWs and can split fire however they wish, so with 3 of them,
you could put 1-2 (probably 2) BMs on 3 different units. Some degenerate
would no doubt take 5 or 6 and Voila! you have the amazing stump army. They
are pinned to the point they can't move, and out of range of all their weapons.

Temp