Re: [Epic] [Epic40k] Blast Markers and Firepower

From: <duckrvr_at_...>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 09:04:03 -0500

At 09:08 PM 6/13/97 -0700, you wrote:

>> I disagree. If this is the case, then a single BM halves the effective fire
>> of a unit of Land Raiders, as usually, they aren't concentrating a lot of
>> fire. It also halves the fp of an all shw titan if it wants to fire at more
>> than one target. At 2 BMs it can only fire at one target.
>
>Right. The LRs are better off using their Anti-Tank shots at armour,
>rather than as Universal Psyker Assasination on a dozen different units.
>This is a bad thing?

I will agree that the whole psyker-killer idea is lame. However, if you
take 2 LR dets and square off, the one with a single BM will be crushed. If
it fires first it will inflict 1 hit per 2 LR, effectively halving the
opponent's detachment size (assuming equal size dets). The opponent will
average 1 hit per LR remaining, thus returnig the favor. If the
non-surpressed det fires first, it will eliminate the enemy completely
(well, 10 hits amongst the det. I'm sure some will be doubled up.) That is
a huge problem for me.

If you want to stop people from psyker/commander hunting, then just adopt
the command unit rules from 2nd. It is simple, older guys are already
familiar with it, and it doesn't drastically alter the effects of SHWs.

>And as for an all SHW Titan, instead of it being able to assasinate 4
>different pykers in 4 different units, it too must concentrate its
>firepower on one detachment. Usually another Titan. In fact, it would
>encourage a mix of weapons. This is a bad thing too?

Same thing onthe psyker thing. If there is another titan available, then
that would probably be a target of choice anyway.

>> I think that BMs are subtracted after the weapon assignments from where ever
>> you want. So a unit of 10 LRs w/ 5 BMs would have 15 effective shots to
>> direct wherever, and 20 to direct for suppression purposes.
>
>And this is a good thing? IMHO, and I do mean IMHO, LRs are not ipso
>facto Cheese for 35 pts. Unless they're used to fire at multiple
>individual hi-value (read Psyker) units in a dozen different enemy
>detachments, and unless used with a few squads of 15cm range bikes to
>"soak up" BMs. 45cm Devastators? fine.

Okay, I think I'm reading this correctly . . .
1) I'm not trying to make LRs more powerful than they are.
2) I think going on a psyker hunt is poor gamesmanship. (but I would do so
in a tournament, as opposed to a friendly game)
3) 15 cm bikes don't soak BMs unless there is a target within 15 cm.

Temp