Re: [Epic] snap fire and other stuff

From: Andy Skinner <askinner_at_...>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 12:30:14 -0500

Erik K. Rutins wrote:
> An idea I've been toying with is allowing the psychic blast/counter
> attack fate cards to also reroll a single blast marker reduction. It
> really depends on the dice here - the best policy is to try to avoid
> situations that will pile blast markers on to your units. I've found
> that detachments with 4 or less come out fine, generally. Anything
> over that and you may not be doing much with them next turn. Being
> immobile on a battlefield can be deadly, especially if you need to get
> out of the fire arcs of units that put those 5+ blast markers on you
> last turn.
It isn't that I want a way to always get rid of them. It is that
sometimes you get rid of a pile of 'em (and I mean 3 to 5 here--we
really haven't had more than that) all in one turn. They didn't
seem to really do anything. I wondered whether rolling a low
number of blast markers should be easier than rolling a high number.
Maybe roll two dice and use the lowest, then subtract one. (Or
don't subtract one, to make up for using the lowest.)

> Her jet bikes had to stop at 10cm when you snap-fired. Therefore you
> should always be able to move away without being snap-fired unless
> you're surrounded (possible to do with three jetbikes in a triangular
> formation, I guess).
Right, I could have turned around and moved the other way. But with
a sheer wall on one side and a river on the other, I would have had
to move completely away from where I wanted to go.

> > too bad) and had to stop. I thought Titans were supposed to stride
> > across the field, unconcerned about the riff-raff below.
>
> That's why titans always move in the assault phase too. The movement
> phase is clearly not meant for moving past enemy units at what is
> virtually close combat range. However, you can move past without being
> snap-fired during the assault phase. Since few things other than other
> war engines will survive an assault or firefight with a titan, it can
> move past detachments in the assault phase with relative impunity.
OK, I had not thought of whether the snapfire rule was in effect
during the assault phase. That makes sense. However, you can't
move past an enemy unit in this phase, right? So even if I can
move farther into the 10cm barrier, I can't move so that my distance
to the nearest enemy (the jetbike) gets any further, right? Am
I still pinned, or am I missing something else?

> > I still think letting War Engines move twice (movement and assault)
> > makes them awful fast. Do they move twice, even when not going into
> > close combat?
>
> Can't have your cake and eat it too. ;-) This lets them do what you
> want them to do above. I don't find them to be too fast, personally,
> but I have only played with Imperial and Ork so I have no experience
> with the speed of Revenants, et. al.
I still don't see that it allows me to move past the jetbike. And
I'm wondering more whether the speeds of the titans are too big,
since they get to move twice, not whether they should be allowed
to move twice. I was using a Warhound, she a Revenant and some
Scorpions.

thanks,
andy
askinner_at_...