Re: [Epic] snap fire and other stuff

From: Erik K. Rutins <snowdo1_at_...>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 11:42:35 -0400

Andy,

> There were a couple of things that just didn't seem right. I
> like the idea of blast markers, but at the end of the turn, they
> always either completely went away or you kept all of them. Now,

An idea I've been toying with is allowing the psychic blast/counter
attack fate cards to also reroll a single blast marker reduction. It
really depends on the dice here - the best policy is to try to avoid
situations that will pile blast markers on to your units. I've found
that detachments with 4 or less come out fine, generally. Anything
over that and you may not be doing much with them next turn. Being
immobile on a battlefield can be deadly, especially if you need to get
out of the fire arcs of units that put those 5+ blast markers on you
last turn.

> my Warhound Titan, and one of them died in snap fire. Then when
> it was my turn to move, I assume she doesn't automatically get
> a snap fire shot at me. But if I move my Titan at all, it gets
> snap-fired. Not only was she able to keep my titan and a bunch

Her jet bikes had to stop at 10cm when you snap-fired. Therefore you
should always be able to move away without being snap-fired unless
you're surrounded (possible to do with three jetbikes in a triangular
formation, I guess).

> too bad) and had to stop. I thought Titans were supposed to stride
> across the field, unconcerned about the riff-raff below.

That's why titans always move in the assault phase too. The movement
phase is clearly not meant for moving past enemy units at what is
virtually close combat range. However, you can move past without being
snap-fired during the assault phase. Since few things other than other
war engines will survive an assault or firefight with a titan, it can
move past detachments in the assault phase with relative impunity.
Mind you, I can think of about a thousand situations where the last
thing I would want to do is leave my titan close to a bunch of enemy
units, but that's besides the point in this example.

I think it's reasonable to say that moving past enemy units without
stopping for any type of engagement is unrealistic. Even a titan would
end up in some kind of assault or firefight (which it would win) but
which would distract it enough to slow it down from 'flank speed',
IMHO.

> I still think letting War Engines move twice (movement and assault)
> makes them awful fast. Do they move twice, even when not going into
> close combat?

Can't have your cake and eat it too. ;-) This lets them do what you
want them to do above. I don't find them to be too fast, personally,
but I have only played with Imperial and Ork so I have no experience
with the speed of Revenants, et. al.

> The close combats still seem like a heads/tails affair.

Seemed that way at first to me. Then I started learning what were the
best ways to attack and the best ways to put support in detachments.
So far, the heads/tails situations have been the ones that really
should have been that way. Sure, every now and then you get a surprise
but that's what the fate cards are for. If you don't have any left,
keep your supreme commander close to combats you really want to win.
If you don't have a supreme commander, just visualize a very successful
stand by your opponent's units. Think of Little Round Top. :-)

> Is there any penalty at all when a HQ unit is destroyed? Is the
> replacement unit picked immediately?

Not AFAIK. Command immediately passes to next in chain. Of course, if
is a decided penalty.

> We've got to find out more about the morale rules--we ignored them
> in favor of control of bridges being used as victory conditions. If
> they have an effect on single detachments, that might help--we had
> detachments on both sides coming back for more, to the last man.

Morale rules definitely shorten battles. So far, they seem pretty
realistic. If your army is really beat up, it retires. Otherwise, you
can try to make a last stand and swing things back your way. I had a
fantastic battle with a friend who plays Orks where we ended up with
Space Marines at -29 morale and Orks at -1 morale at the end of Turn 4.
 The battle went back and forth like crazy until we beat each other to
death and our soldiers said 'to hell with this'.

Regards,

- Erik

- Epic 40k Campaign Rules: http://www.openix.com/~rutins/fwar.htm

"Look within. Within is the fountain of good, and it will ever bubble
up, if you will ever dig."
- Marcus Aurelius