Re: [Epic] snap fire and other stuff

From: Scott Shupe <shupes_at_...>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 11:43:33 -0400

Andy Skinner wrote:

> There were a couple of things that just didn't seem right. I
> like the idea of blast markers, but at the end of the turn, they
> always either completely went away or you kept all of them. Now,
> I know that just happens to be the way the dice rolled, but it
> seemed odd that a detachment could have 4 blast markers and have
> them just completely gone at the end of the turn. It is possible
> that they had no effect on the detachment at all.

        But fairly unlikely. And less likely the more you pile
on... scattering a few BMs on random targets isn't going to have
a noticible effect, you have to pile them onto a few selected
targets so that they don't all go away in the rally phase.

> Snap fire played an interesting part in the battle. She had a
> near-depleted detachment of jetbikes sitting in between the river
> and a steep hill. Actually, she moved a couple within 10 cm of
> my Warhound Titan, and one of them died in snap fire. Then when
> it was my turn to move, I assume she doesn't automatically get
> a snap fire shot at me. But if I move my Titan at all, it gets
> snap-fired. Not only was she able to keep my titan and a bunch
> of Land Raiders from moving past with 3 jetbikes (OK, two were
> vypers), but as far as I can tell, if the Titan had moved in any
> direction (except possibly directly away from the jetbike, depending
> on how the rule works)

        You can move away without getting snap-fired. Check the
battles (?) book.

> it would have gotten a snap fire shot (not
> too bad) and had to stop. I thought Titans were supposed to stride
> across the field, unconcerned about the riff-raff below.

        Yeah, looks like there should be some exception to the
whole snap-fire thing with regards to WEs. ie, WEs shouldn't have
to stop when fired at.

> I still think letting War Engines move twice (movement and assault)
> makes them awful fast. Do they move twice, even when not going into
> close combat?

        Units with Assault orders move twice, even when not going
into close combat. Presumably they are still bound by the restrictions
of moving in the Assault phase - namely, they have to approach the
enemy.

> Is there any penalty at all when a HQ unit is destroyed?

        Aside from the fact that you probably just lost the best
unit in the detachment, there's the chance that some units will
end up out of command, depending on the chain of command and where
the units are placed. Space Marine-type detachments probably won't
suffer much, but detachments with more strict chain of command rules
(like the eldar) MIGHT suffer if the player isn't paying attention.
But mainly, there's really little impact.

> Is the
> replacement unit picked immediately?

        Yep.

> We've got to find out more about the morale rules--we ignored them
> in favor of control of bridges being used as victory conditions. If
> they have an effect on single detachments, that might help--we had
> detachments on both sides coming back for more, to the last man.

        No effect on single detachments. It's just like VPs from
2nd edition, only counting down instead of up. Detachments with
only a few units left are generally suppressed into non-action (since
you can't even make a Ld test if you have more BMs than units left).

Scott
shupes_at_...