Re: [Epic] [Epic40k] Blast Markers and Firepower

From: <duckrvr_at_...>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 13:45:28 -0500

At 01:23 PM 6/16/97 -0400, you wrote:

>>>Ah, yes. The ever understated Temp ;). But he's right (IMO), shooting at
>>>nothing to soak off blast markers is definitely cheesy.
>>
>>Geez. I know I express my opinions strongly, but am I really that abrasive?
>
>No, no, no. Abrasive is calling the person stupid. I call this "telling
>it like it is". I loved it, which is why I commented on it :).

Well, thanks. Actually, I wouldn't have really been offended if you had
called me abrasive. In a debate or persuasive argument (paper, whatever)
you should never use "I think" or "It seems" or "IMHO." You state "this is
the way it is" and then back it up with facts. In an oral debate where you
are being judged by others (whether actively or passively) it is also
helpful to make your opponent seem unprepared/incompetent/just plain stupid.
Although I tend to restrict such techniques to folks who are very dogmatic.
It is most effective against them (not that they will change their minds,
but observers may), and besides, it is easy and fun.

Temp