RE: [Epic] Thread on Orcs, AT & LRs

From: Miller, Chris <CMiller_at_...>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 14:16:45 -0500

>>If you taunt your opponent into doing something tactically stupid, than itsa
>>to your advantage. I've called someone's army cowardly once before and he
>>threw the game to prove otherwise. Suited me.
>
>My kind of player. Unfortunately, this strategy seldom works in
>multi-player games (more than 2,that is. I don't have multiple
>personalities.). Folks tend to gang up on the loudest player in those
>situations.
>
>Temp

----> This is a great tactic in any game - morale ain't only on the
table. (Though I agree multiplayer can backfire) How to hurt morale ?
Take out their favorite unit. We've played Star Fleet Battles since it
was a small game, and everyone has their favorite ships, usually a big
nasty dreadnaught or X-ship. We play mostly big fleet battles, and when
your "baby" ship sucks up a cloud of overloaded torpedoes and is reduced
to a smoldering hulk, it HURTS. Works in Battletech too - "He really
likes his Warhammers." Guess what eats all the missiles first...
        2nd ed SM/TL it worked best against titans or those "special" units
like termies , greater demons, etc. "I'm really proud of this Warlock
Titan" ..."Oh, yeah, it's very nice. Oh, and this basilisk unit is
targetting it...)

        You don't have to be mean about it - I'm one of those "play to enjoy"
rather than a white-knuckle "play to win" types - but be aware of it,
and if it matters (you decide you DO want to win this one, or the guy
turns out to deserve it) then NUKE it.

        A liberal dose of taunting before hand can help set it up, and, of
course, the taunting afterwards is only to be expected...

Chris Miller