RE: [Epic] Thread on Orcs, AT & LRs [was barrage]

From: Matt Starling <mstarling_at_...>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 10:32:40 -0700

I've implemented a house rule to balance out the rule where SHW can target =
any unit within range. Vehicles with SHW can target either infantry units =
or vehicle units, controller's choice, but they still must target the close=
st unit of that type. Titans, Gargants, et. al. can target whichever units=
 they like (as well as be targeted), with the exclusion of targeting HQ un=
its unless they are the closest unit. This rule regarding HQ units applies =
to infantry and vehicle units as well. This allows a commander to manuever=
 strategically behind a screen of expendable units.

The one exception to t=
he rule are weapons that use barrage templates; they can target any unit(s)=
 within range as long as a clump of units exist within that weapon's range =
that presents a larger group of targets than the closest enemy units. Thus=
, artillery units can employ the traditional role of busting up large clust=
ers of enemy units. barrage template weapons should target the largest clu=
mp of units within their range first; if the closest enemy units have a rel=
atively close number of clumped units compared to another clump of enemy un=
its farther away, barrage template weapons should follow the above rule whe=
re the closest target is targeted first (unless this would involve shooting=
 your own troops as well. But then again, some commanders would opt to do =
this anyway!)