RE: [Epic] E40K New Rules - Smoke Rounds

From: James Nugent <jnug1453_at_...>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 07:38:41 -0400

Ok, I have been talking about "new rules" needed for E40K as a war
game. S=
moke rounds, Air Defense rules, and Engineer rules being the
biggest "missi=
ng items" IMHO.

Here is my take on Smoke rounds in Epic 40K. Yes these =
are blind
grenades on heavy drugs...

Smoke rounds in Epic 40K

Any unit wi=
th the "Artillery" modifier may be equipped with smoke rounds
at a cost of =
5 points per unit
with smoke rounds.

Using smoke rounds:
The firing unit'=
s detachment must be on "Special" orders.

Smoke rounds must be fired as pa=
rt of "Preliminary Bombardment".

A unit may only fire one smoke round per =
firing phase.

Firing the smoke round counts as the units fire for that pha=
se. They do
not get to fire for effect also.

For each smoke round fired=
 place a 6cm circle (a "blast template").

The template block line of site/=
line of fire for all units, except
flyers. Please note that skimmers line=
 of site IS blocked by smoke
rounds. The smoke is a pillar, not a hemisphe=
re.

If placed on a unit the unit has it's line of site block, and it is=

blocked as well. (i.e. you can't see it and it can't see out of the
smoke =
cloud). You must cover at least 3 figures for infantry units and
2 figures=
 for cavalry units. There is no other effect for placing a
smoke round on=
 a unit.

During the rally phase smoke rounds are removed after Blast Marke=
rs are
removed.

To remove a smoke cloud roll on die per cloud. Smoke ro=
unds are removed
on a 4+.

Nice, very nice. However, I think there should b=
e some deviation, maybe 2D6(moreD6?) when the template is placed. Although=
, since you have to pay 5 points for it it's not to bad. Having it block li=
ne of sight for skimmers doesn't make much sense, the smoke would diffuse a=
s it got higher, also wind and stuff would get it.
Of course machines that=
 pop up to infinite hights to see things on the opposite side of an infinil=
ty high wall that you can have a firefight over don't make sense either,;).=

--------------------------------------------------------------------------=
------------------------------------
"Your incorrect assumptions are threef=
old."
"You assume law still reigns in the Five Galaxies"
"You assume that w=
e would be bound by precedents and precepts from the last 10 million years.=
"
"But your most incorrect assumption of all is to assume that we care."
=
                                        -David Brin, Infinity's Shore