Re: {Epic} Braincrusha gun (was: Re: [Epic] Ork units that I miss.)

From: David Lado <lado_at_...>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 12:05:30 -0400 (EDT)

>> There are no 40K stats for it - it's never been made or drfined for
>> the game.
>>
>> So we're pretty much free to make it whatever we want. I'd say what it
>> was in 1st ed and 2nd ed is of limited usefulness (yes I have both
>> and played both). I don't like making it a heavy barrage as it's only
>> going to fire every other turn. A mega cannon might work, but then
>> the cost is going to be up (way up). The orks could certainly use
>> an AT unit as they have about none now, and I believe we can get
>> death rays on one of the mekboy vehicles now. Also, AT would keep
>> it cheaper so you might see them a little more...
>
>...so I prefer to use the Fluff. Which is why I like the Mega-Cannon
>idea, despite the horrendous cost.

Well, I am converted to the idea of making it some sort of barrage
weapon (as opposed to making it AT). I would make it a heavy artillery
weapon though. I don't like making it a siege weapon for the same
reasons given above. Nor do I like the idea of making it a mega
cannon because

1 I envision MCs being things like goliaths and gutbusters, not
   something you could mount on regular vehicle (i.e. only WEs
   are big enough to carry them).
2 Making it a MC would make it very expensive, and expensive goes
   against the feel of the ork army IMO. A barrage weapon would
   keep the price down and let the ork player field more units.
   Think about it, a MC carrying unit would cost 80 pts or more,
   which makes it as expensive as a battlefortress (a WE). This
   seems very out of character for the orks.
3 The orks have lots of access to MCs on their gargants already.
   The slasher can carry up to 3 itself (though I wouldn't advise
   more than 2). The only barrage weapon they can field is on
   the mega-gargant. So a barrage weapon would give the orks
   something new, while a MC would give them a redundant
   capability.

David