Re: [Epic] Flak

From: David Lado <lado_at_...>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 12:05:34 -0400 (EDT)

>> I agree with the Harridans, I decided to get 5 Harridans as opposed to
>> getting heaps of Gargoyles. The Harridan, despite its intercept value of 1
>> is a very good interceptor due to the huge amounts of fire power it can
>> bring to bear. Once the ariel opposition is wiped out, it is really good at
>> taking out ground targets too.
>>
>> Being relatively new to the latest version of epic, I'm curious to find out
>> what peoples opinions are about which is best - interceptors or flak units?
>> I must confess that I haven't tried any flak units yet, I seem to enjoy
>> trying to obtain air superiority.
>>
>Having used flak and aircraft, I find that you need both (note I have an IG
>army). I use the flak to protect my artillery near baseline, while I
>use Thunderbolts to protect the rest of my army, were necessary.

How many fliers do you take with your impies, (per 1000 pts if the number
is dependent on game size) and how many flak units. Flak wagons (orks)
seem roughly comperable to hydras on a point-per-FP basis, so I was
wondering how many Flak wagons it would take to protect a 300 pt mob
of Big Gunz, Pulsas, and assorted infantry.

While on the topic of Ork Flak Wagons, does any one know when the Flak
Wagon and Fighta-bomba models will be released? Right now I'm looking
at hand converting Flak Wagons and simply living without the Fighta-
bombas (unless I come across some alternate figs).

>The advantage of using flak, as opposed to interceptors, to protect
>my artillery is: first, the flak gets to fire before aircraft do;
>second, flak is available every turn of the game; third, flak the
>way I place it discourages enemy aircraft from flying over my boardedge;

All things I had never thought about :). I considered fielding Flak only
because my fliers weren't available.

>and finally, flak on overwatch gets to reroll any misses, which aircraft
>don't!

Flak have to have special "!" orders, so they can't be on overwatch orders.
A question I have is if a Flak unit on "!" orders never fires during the
movement phase, can it shoot normally during the firing phase (i.e. could
it convert it's orders to overwatch like the other units in the detachment).

Also, I had contemplated a strategy of lining part of my back board edge
with gretcin, so I could snapfire any flier that entered from that edge.
The idea being that you can snap fire any number of units, while
Flak Wagons can only fire 2 dice. Would this be cheesy?

David