Re: [Epic] painting marines

From: Stephen Sheldon <stephes_at_...>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 09:55:57 -0700 (PDT)

> I experimented with an ivory, washed with brown, and didn't like
> the way it looked. Maybe if my wash was more clean--I have a lot
> of trouble getting it down into the part that I want and not
> anywhere else. I tried an experiment suggested by someone else,
> using clear matte to thin the wash, rather than water, but I
> can't tell if it helped.

The problem with the brown ink (GW) is that the pigment is way too
strong, it is closer to black, and on it's own has limited usefulness, it
just makes things look dirty. I always dilute the brown ink with either
flesh wash for a boney colour, or chestnut for a richer warmer wash. I
also always water the ink down. The key is to be patient, when a watered
down ink dries, it is always darker than when you apply it. Eg. add
chestnut ink to red paint, when it goes on, it looks perfect, but when it
dries it goes very dark. If you want to paint a small area with shading,
then you could always start off with a dark colour, and highlight up
fromm there avoiding ink altogether.
hope my rambling made some sense. I've been painting for 10 years now,
and I don't even think about what I do, so apologies for this brain-dump.
Steve