[Epic] Space Marine army for review

From: Sean Smith <seans_at_...>
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 1997 00:35:33 +1300

I am going to be fighting a battle against an one of the
best players in my club this Saturday (it is your Friday
for list members in the USA and Europe), who has an Eldar
army. We will both have 3000 point armies and fighting a
'normal' battle, the battlefield will be 120cm by 200cm.

I would appreciate any comments on the army intended
to take and tactics I plan to use, thanks!

Tactics:

Air -

I plan to use the Thunderhawks for interception, this is
not as crazy as it sounds. I known my oppent only owns 3
nightwings, and can possibly borrow 3 more. If I took
thunderbolts I known one nightwing has a 55% of hitting
a thunderbolt, the chance of hitting of a nightwing
hitting a thunderhawk are 30.6%, the chance of a
Thunderhawk hitting a nightwing is 80.6%.

Also he will hopefully assume that they have troops in
them. This will then hopefully make he hold back troops
from his advance, that he wouldn't of otherwise held back,
to counter the possiblility of this threat. It will also
disguise the fact that I have assault troops in drop pods.

Scouts -

I will position them before the battle begins in a good
firing spot. They can then go on overwatch thereby both
covering the advance of my other troops and slow his
advance down. They can also be used to take objectives
on my side of the battlefield.

Titans -

I plan to base my offensive around my titans. The titans
will advance blasting any opposition away. I think that
Firepower is best against Eldar Titans, because their holo
shields mean that you needed massed firepower to get past
them and ever hit inflicted has the chance of becoming a
critical hit.

Bike Detachments -

They will provide the Titan or Land Raiders Detachments with
support if they are attacked. Otherwise they will be on a
rovering commission taking advantage of any opportunity that
arises. For example, taking lightly guarded objectives or
cutting off retreats.

Infantry -

Their advance will be supported by the firepower of the Titans
and Land Raider Detachments.

Assault -

I plan to keep these as an unpleasent surprise, I more
interested in the psyhcological affect. I hope it makes him have
to withdraw troops from his frontline at a critical moment.

Generally -

My main worry is the speed and high assault ability of Eldar,
combine with their disrupt weapons (nightspinner and wave
serpant). My bikes should go some way to countering his
speed. While a slow advance using the titans and Land Raiders
firepower should and covering firepower from the scouts on
overwatch should reduce forces substantially before he manages
to get into close combat.

I am considering dropping the Maruaders and taking another
infantry detachment in Rhino's.

Army List:

Supreme Commander Detachment
Ordo Malleus Inquisitor+Rhino 60
- Body Guard 1 Bike Squad 30 90
� (3 units in it) --

1st Space Marine Armour Detachment
1 Detachment HQ+Captain+Mounted 60
in a Land Raider
- 2 Landraider Squads 175 235
  (3 Land Raiders in Each) ---

2nd Space Marine Armour Detachment

Detachment HQ mounted in a 60
Land Raider
- 2 Landraider Squads 175 235
  (3 Land Raiders in Each) ---

3rd Space Marine Detachment (all in drop pods)
1 Detachment HQ + Captain 50
- 2 Assault Squads 68 118
                                   --

4th Space Marine Detachment