Re: [Epic] Line of Sight

From: David Lado <lado_at_...>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 1997 11:01:00 -0400 (EDT)

>> >For example; LOS was
>> >always a big issue in the old Epic... Now, you don't even need it (in
>> >assaults and FF). Is Epic 40K really a better game simply because it
>> >sweeps the problems of somplexity under the rug and therefore makes
>> >the game less stimulating?
>>
>> I definetely think so. Measuring LOS from a models eye view was
>> totally arbitrary and added nothing to the enjoyment of the game.
>
>Do you guys use the LOS rule in E40K that you can see over any
>terrain than which you are higher? LOS from the model does add
>enjoyment to my play of the game, 'cause it feels right to me.
>However, I'm glad that models don't block LOS (except maybe big
>ones ought to). Has everyone else switched to the new LOS rule?
>(I don't yet have an opinion on LOS for firefights and assaults.)

I like the new rules "in principle", but it will take more
experience before I decide if they are better or not. I
definitely agree that WEs should block line of sight,
though. I think most people would probobly be willing to
agree to a house rule to that affect.

In the old SM/TL, both groups I played with used a house rule
that infantry stands didn't block LOS and this was often
unconciously extended to vehicles as well (because we simply
stopped checking LOS unless there was some obviously big
obstruction). The last group I played with used very
relaxed LOS rules (basically, if it looked like you might
have a shot, we gave it to you) and very much preferred
it that way.

For example: figuring out if half an infantry stand was
visible over the crest of a hill to a unit at the base was
a ridiculous pain in the butt. Basically, usless the unit was
very obviously on the contra slope, it was visible to other
units. The same principles applied to elevated units seeing
over intervening terrain, we always gave the benifit of the
doubt unless it was so obvious the player didn't even bother
to ask if it was in LOS.

David