Re: [Epic] Hello

From: A. Allen McCarley <allen_at_...>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 1997 15:19:54 -0500

> The problem that the designers perceived was that the Squats were being =
> used purely as a sit back and pound the daylights out of the opposition =
> with artillery.

What were typical squat forces that people used? I had one regular
opponent in SM/TL that liked the squats. His army usually went something
like this:

      3 Overlord Companies (for a total of 9 gas bags)
      3 Colossi
      1 Biker Company
      2 Gyrocopter Companies

Occaisionally he'd throw in a Warlord Titan Battlegroup or a marine infantry
company in THawks. Don't think I ever saw a squat infantryman except for
a Grand Warlord now and again.

His SHVs and Overlords marched inexorably forward, blasting anything in sight.
These units packed enough shots (all good shots, too) that cover offered
little protection. (He needs 7's to hit you? That's all right. He's got
dice in the double digits to roll.) Besides, cover didn't usually stand
long unless it was woods.

The bikes and copters gave him more than enough mobility, incredible CAF
and carried lots of good shots (all 360 degree). You also coult not break
them unless you could drop off some units behind his lines to pick off the
one or two models he needed to hide to make them unbreakable.

It was scary. You almost had to take every objective marker on the board
since you weren't really going to be able to get many points out of killing
his units... and shifting Collossi off of objective markers was damn hard.

What were other typical squat forces like?

Allen (The Q&A guy)
Check out the EPIC and EPIC 40K Q&A Pages at:
     http://work1.utsi.edu:8000/~amccarle/default.html
If you have questions about EPIC 40K and can't find the answers
in the rule books, send them to:
                    allen_at_...
They will be passed on to Jervis Johnson and Andy Chambers.