Re: [Epic] Hello

From: David Dresser <lemming_at_...>
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 1997 19:29:19 -0700

A. Allen McCarley wrote:

> > The problem that the designers perceived was that the Squats were being =
> > used purely as a sit back and pound the daylights out of the opposition =
> > with artillery.
>
> What were typical squat forces that people used? I had one regular
> opponent in SM/TL that liked the squats. His army usually went something
> like this:
>
> 3 Overlord Companies (for a total of 9 gas bags)
> 3 Colossi
> 1 Biker Company
> 2 Gyrocopter Companies

Yikes, that's what? 5,300 points? Bit larger than my usual games..
1,500 to 4,000 points maybe. I preferred thunderers in rhinos instead
of overlords though.. too many eggs riding in that little armored
gondola.

> It was scary. You almost had to take every objective marker on the board
> since you weren't really going to be able to get many points out of killing
> his units... and shifting Collossi off of objective markers was damn hard.

Thing to do is shoot up the bike forces. 8 vps for a little 600 point
detachment. Seems like alot, it takes 17 to break them.. but my
opponent would spend almost his entire shooting phase killing bikes.
It'd usually be worth it. After that just concentrate fire on one
overlord detachment at a time, break them with sheer volume of dice.
Colossi are the same.. don't shoot at them unless you shoot everything
at them until they go down. Gyrocopters have the most amazing break
point, so it's usually not worth going after them unless you can squish
them all in CC.

> What were other typical squat forces like?

As I said before, thunderers mounted in rhinos were my excuse for
overlords. I really liked bike companies for swamping an opponent in
CC, as well as pulling down titans. Warriors, when I used them, were
usually mounted in moles with support from berserkers in termites. The
iron breaker and brotherhood detachments were just too slow for my style
of play.

Lemm