Re: [Epic] My DexCon Epic 40k experiences...

From: Alan Brain <aebrain_at_...>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 02:26:32 -0700

Erik K. Rutins wrote:

> > Bullock Jetbikes (use instead of marine bikes, but use Eldar Jetbike
> > stats)
>
> I seem to remember these from my friend's old Rogue Trader book. How
> did these look?

You really have to see the miniature, or an illo. They're actually
smaller than the current bike.

> > Manticore Missile Launchers, which have a high Assault factor due to
> > their tail.
>
> No kidding?

With spikes on. The idea was that the turret with the multiple missiles
on would, when at close quarters, reverse itself, and tail with spiked
ball on the end would then swish around doing nasties.

> > Whirlwinds that could carry troops inside.
>
> Boy, they've certainly improved in 10,000 years...

Actually, this always made me a bit uneasy. Where's the ammo? The
targetting gear?

> > Flying Cathedrals aka Thunderhawks
>
> I guess the cult of the Emperor must be dying out, as the 'cathedral
> look' is definitely being phased out. Kinda like disco.

No, it's now the Caring, Sharing Imperium. Even the Adepta Sororitas now
no longer wear wimples, just a shoulder-length straight haircut. I
preferred it when they were Nuns With Guns.

> SM1 is Adeptus Titanicus, right? Sauron, do you still have those rules
> copies available?

Well, first there was Adeptus Titanicus. Then Space Marine 1, which
added rules for things other than Titans. Then Codex Titanicus, which
added Orks, Eldar etc etc.

> I will definitely try it out - I imagine the scenario is the most
> important and I can certainly figure something out. Unfortunately the
> history of the Heresy contains too many statements like "well, it would
> take three pages to explain this, so we won't". Does anyone have a
> full history of the time period and the events (and OOB?). The most
> complete I've seen so far is in the Ultramarines 40k Codex, which I
> bought for the organizational stuff.

That's a difficult one. One day, I may just put in all the quotes and
fluff that I can dig up about the Horus Heresy.

Basic story:
Warmaster Horus gets initiated into the local cult of a planet. He's
done this before, it's policy to do this when you find a source of
budding Psychos for the Adeptus Astartes. WM H is, btw, 2nd only to the
Emp his-self, and has considerable autonomy. And 5 legions, each of
10,000+ strong. Basically, an old-style legion had 20+ cohorts, each
about the size of a legion today.

Anyway...
Horus gets possessed. Promptly comes to a planet that's revolting. Or at
least, the Governor is acting without sanction. Usually a job for 100 or
so SMs to drop in, have a chat with him, make him see the error of his
ways, and clean up the blood.
Horus proceeds to give this planet the whole Exterminatus treatment.
Which is a bit extreme for those days. So much so, that about 50 or so
SMs out of the 5 legions take the cruiser Eisenstein and report back
that Horus has Gone Feral.

More later, if you're interested.

--
100026.2014 compuserve o OO*O^^^^O*OO o oo     oo oo     oo
See http://www.z-world.com/graphics/z/master/8856.gif for picture