Re: [Epic] [EPIC] Ordo Malleus

From: David Lado <lado_at_...>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 1997 11:48:38 -0400 (EDT)

>> Grey Knight Space Marine squad 34 points
>> Consists of 2 Space Marine units (Ordo Malleus)
>> Extra cost to:
>> Mount in Rhino +7 points
>>
>> Notes: If an Ordo Malleus detachment consists entirely of
>infantry
>>
>> units it may be deployed using drop pods.
>
>-------->I like the idea of having an anti-daemon unit. I just have a
>few suggestions:
>
>1) Grey Knights ALWAYS wear terminator armour. The only reason that
>not all space marines wear tactical dreadnought armour is because of
>lack of resources.

I definitely agree that Grey Knights should all be teminators. But
I don't know how they work in 40k.

>2) Grey Nights should always use drop pods, although in their case
>they are being teleported down, not dropping. For this reason, I
>advocate that an Ordo Malleus detachment may not take ANY vehicles,
>always deploys in "drop pods", and furthermore, these drop pods cannot
>be shot down by the enemy (aint too much to shoot at).

GK units are the same size as any other unit which can be shot down.
I think the enemy should get a fair shot at the drop pods, since I
don't think you want to give them an unfair advantage. If GKs are
to valuable to risk getting shot up landing, land them in a safer
part of the field.

I also think it would still be "in character" for GKs to charge in
on thunderchickens.

I also agree that OM detachments should have no (or at least very
limited) organic support. Such support should come from other
detachments in the army to which they are attached.

>3) There are not many Grey Nights for the Inquisition to spare, so
>their numbers should be limited. So how about a limit of 1 Ordo
>Malleus detachment in your army?

Definetely.

>4) "Grey Nights are only deployed against daemonic forces as they are
>far too valuable to risk against conventional enemy." (A of the I)
>How about only being allowed to include an Ordo Malleus detachment in
>your army when fighting against Chaos and Tyranids?

I would restrict them to fighting chaos. Why bugs are nasty, they're
not heretics.

If you are going to restrict GKs to fighting chaos (which I concur
with), then I think you could go ahead and make life easier by just
giving them Hero status. This gives them their terminator save and
makes them mean kick-ass troops (I think they should be able to kick
anyone's ass, not just demons). Also, I think the fluff mentioned
that the GKs used psychic weapons, or were all psychers, or some
such thing. So you might want to give them the psycher upgrade for
+10 pts.

David