[Epic] Spreading FP (was re: Ordo Malleus)

From: David Lado <lado_at_...>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 1997 11:48:40 -0400 (EDT)

>Which leads to the question, if you have a total FP of asy 30, and
>there are say 30 detachments that are possible targets, if you fire 1
>FP at each target detachment, you can inflict 30 BM's on the enemy (1
>on each target detachment). I reckon this sounds a bit unfair, so
>how's this:
>
>Find the number of blast markers that would be inflicted by your
>attack on a single target detachment, then, no-matter how many target
>detachments your detachment shoots at, it can only inflict this many
>BM's (distribute them as you like, but in proportion to the amount of
>FP fired at each target detachment)

I don't think there's too much of a problem with the current system.
Considering the limitations, I don't think you'll see alot of
spreading of FP just to inflict blast markers. If you think about
it:

1 Detachments are going to have a limited number of target
   detachments. Most units have 45 cm range or less, so the
   choice of how many dets to target may be immaterial. The
   best ratio of BMs for FP is gained by firing 1 FP per det,
   but how often will a single detachment have 8+ targets
   available?

2 With less that 8 FP, you have to score a hit to place a BM, so
   30 FP spread over 30 dets will not place close to 30 BM.
   Adding in the chances to hit units (assuming some dets are in
   cover, ect) and the availabiltiy of targets, I doubt you will
   get many more BMs from spreading FP over multiple dets.

3 While you can place more BMs on multiple dets than on a single
   det, multiple dets. also recover more quickly. For example,
   For example, a single det with 6 BMs will recover D6-1 BM, while
   6 units with 2 BM each will recover 6xd6-1 BMs (limited to the
   max BMs on each unit).

4 Sometimes, it can be tactically more usefull to cripple a single
   det (an assault force poised to smash your artillery, frex), than
   to peck away at alot of dets.

I think there is a balance to be struck between concentrating your
fire and spreading it out, depending on the targets, cover, objectives
and other considerations. Spreading out your FP to simply
dissorganize enemy formations rather than cripple them is one of the
choices players have to make, and it has it's advantages and
disadvantages.

David

David