Re: [Epic] New to Epic

From: Scott Shupe <shupes_at_...>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 11:46:25 -0400

P.C.Green wrote:

> I'm new to Epic and this list, and I have a few questions about
> Epic40k and Epic(ie the the old edition).

> My question is should I buy the old Epic (and if so do I get Space Marine
> or do I only need Titan Legions) or should I get Epic40k.

        Well, what exactly are you looking for?

        If you do buy the old Epic, you just need to get
Titan Legions, plus the expansion box for whatever army
you wish to play - ie if you want a Chaos or Eldar army,
you need Renegades; for space marines or imperial guard
you need Armies of the Imperium, etc etc. The expansions
tended to run around $30-$35, so you'll be paying that
much more for the old game.

        Also, GW has repackaged all the plactic & metal
figs in smaller (and more expensive) groupings than before.
Unless you have a source to the old plastic infantry boxes,
you might not want to get into the old edition. You'd
need to buy a lot of the new boxes in order to field the
proper detachments, which are of a fixed size.

> To help me answer this question I would be grateful if someone could explain
> the
> close combat system for Epic. I know it revolves aroud Close Assualt Factors but
> thats about it.

        Close combat is pretty simple. If two models are
in base-to-base contact, each player rolls 2D6 and adds
the CAF (close assault factor) for their model. Whoever
rolls lower loses and dies (or takes a hit in the case of
titans). You could 'gang-up' on enemy models by moving
multiple figs into base contact with your target, in which
case each attacker gets to add another D6 to their roll -
ie, 1st attacker gets 2D6, 2nd gets 3D6, 3rd gets 4D6, etc.
Units that were not in base contact had no impact on the
fight.

> Any other comments on the two systems would be apreciated but I understand
> that you've probably already had this discussion (sp?) and don't wan't to
> have repeat everything again.

        The basic rules of SM/TL were mucho simpler than
the rules for E40k. However, many of the units in the
older edition had their own set of special rules whereas
in E40k all the units are fairly vanilla.

Scott
shupes_at_...