RE: [Epic] New to Epic

From: Miller, Chris <CMiller_at_...>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 13:01:32 -0500

>>> My question is should I buy the old Epic (and if so do I get Space Marine
>>> or do I only need Titan Legions) or should I get Epic40k.

------>All previous comments by previous posters apply. I enjoyed SM/TL
more
than any other mini game (and I've spent way too much time on them),
largely
because my whole group bought into it, played it, and knew the
background
from 40K.
        Unfortunately I would have to advise against buying it because of the
lack of support for it now. If you can find either big box, plus the
small box
 that you need, great, but it's only going to get harder to do so.
(OTOH,
based on the sales rumors, I'm not sure how much support we're going
to see for E40K, or for how long).
        Your best bet might be to look for someone locally who already
has SM/TL, play it with them or see if you can borrow the rules at
least.
If you like it, the mini's are interchangeable, so you would have a
source
for the old material.
        If your whole group dives into E40K, I think you'll have quite a bit
of fun. The biggest issue with most mini games is getting time, room,
and players to play them on a regular basis. If everyone gets into it,
it'll be fine. If it's just you, at some point you're going to wonder
what the
hell you were thinking.
        Oh and, playing regularly seems to give many people more
 incentive to paint their mini's - whatever the game. I did a 10,000 pt
-per
side battle at the 95 Dallas Game Expo with Impies vs Orks, and I got
 more Orks done in about 2 weeks than I thouoght possible, and got
several
compliments on the paint jobs. (Yes there were a lot of titans on both
sides)
Get on a regular cycle of playing, and you'll find time to paint the
army.
Throw enough painted mini's out on a table and start chucking handfuls
of
dice, and you'll find yourseld having a good time pretty quick. Find a
local
store or club to play at, and other people will start to pick up on it,
too.
You can get a nice thing going this way.

Chris Miller