RE: Mikes Rant on Orks/ was RE: [Epic] E40K:Battle Report -

From: Mike Bowen <mbowen_at_...>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 23:33:18 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 18 Jul 1997, James Nugent wrote:

> Actually, the Nightspinner isn't that good. It cost the same as
> imperial artillary that can actually hurt things. Also, engines of Vaul
>are overpriced. For the same amount you could get 3 Landraiders(105 pts)
>that have 6 At shots(as opposed to D6). Also they have better armour and
>fire as vehicals.

true, but most units look bad Vs. Landraiders. LR need to cost more for
what they do.

> Don't the speedsta's have 45 cm range? Stop me if I'm wrong but...
>I was pretty sure it was 45 cm.

only 30cm. it's 45 on the gargant

> as an Ork player, i would GLADLY take a 60cm AT shot in place of a 30cm DR
>
> How about we compramise, 60cm DRs for everyone :)

everyone except SM/IG ;)

> the problem with Orks is they don't get to 30cm to shoot. They are all
> dead/broken from 60cm AT shots before they get into range. Those AT shots
> bypass the bikes and kill the speedstas.
>
> Well, what would you aim for? ;)

>> We all realize that using FP against +6 armor doesn't work
>
> I agree with you there. Actually, it would be nice to have things
> with a 6 armour. I bet you agree with me there.

yep

> That's good. I don't feel there is much cheese in new 40K, with the possible
> exception of land raiders.

agree.

>they should. although, in 2Ed all races had things that were cheesy in
>sufficient numbers, I tried not to field these things in large enough
> numbers to do so. Eldar had wave serpants, Orks had Weirdboy towers,
> Squats had overlords, everyone had something.

all the above have been purged, esp. the squats.

except now the SM have cheeze LR with "extra" WD rules for death co. etc

Eldar and IG just seem bad as they have some real long range stuff, but
suffer in other areas.

The IG are probably still wondering where the Gorgons and assault troops
are.

mike