RE: Mikes Rant on Orks/ was RE: [Epic] E40K:Battle Report -

From: Ken Taborek <oberon_at_...>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 1997 12:38:16 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 18 Jul 1997, James Nugent wrote:
[large chomp]

> That's good. I don't feel there is much cheese in new 40K, with the possible
> exception of land raiders. Otherwise, things seem to cost about what
>they should.
> although, in 2Ed all races had things that were cheesy in sufficient numbers,
> I tried not to field these things in large enought numbers to do so.
>Eldar had wave serpants, Orks had Weirdboy towers, Squats had overlords,
>everyone had something.

I never felt that any one unit was "cheesy" in epic2. I was willing to
face any single unit of any army with my IG army. It was the
_combinations_ that got cheesy. Eldar: First I Waveserpent you,
then I Doomweaver you (that's Nightspinner to you new guys). Orc: I roll
the Cult of speed up under the Speedsta. Chaos: I move the Mortarion
Marines up in Thunderhawks (forgot their chapter name). Etc, etc. Epic2
had so many combinations of special rules, and so many were created after
the game was originally designed, that there was no way to design a new
unit with new rules that didn't have some unexplained effect on some other
existing unit. And, it seemed like at the end, there was nothing but new
units with new special rules comeing out of the GW war machine. It is
their way of selling new units to established customers: Make a newer,
brighter unit with a lot of kick. Then, everyone will want one in their
army.
For this reason alone, I bet e40k doesn't last long. If they keep to
their word, and don't make supplements, they won't get additional money
out of the players who already bought the game. Therefore, they will drop
the game due to "market considerations".
Still, it is a good game, and I'm enjoying it while it lasts.

--Ken Taborek oberon_at_...
"Show respect for age. Drink good Scotch for a change."- random fortune