Re: [Epic] deathstrikes

From: David Dresser <lemming_at_...>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 09:04:36 -0700

Erik K. Rutins wrote:

> I don't know what they were like in SM/TL, but something that does d6
> kill on a 2+ hits to anything beneath a barrage template definitely
> worries me. I don't find it to be as effective against shielded titans
> unless you can be patient (and not get counter-barraged, assaulted,
> etc. before you fire). But against vehicles and infantry in the
> inevitable bottlenecks, it can be absolutely devastating. My personal
> opinion is that it should be kind of like a distortion cannon - roll
> equal to/over the speed/5cm of each unit under the template. If you
> get it, then it takes the d6 death ray hits.
>
> Regards,
>
> - Erik

Just a small quibble here. Vortex missiles (p.34) "..place a barrage
template over the target unit(s). Every unit under the template suffers
the equivalent of D6 Death Ray hits."

Seems to me that for every unit under the template you roll a D6 and
apply that number of DR hits automatically. There is no need for an
additional 2+ roll, the hits are guaranteed. Thus, for units without
some sort of save you will inflict 1-6 critical hits just by placing the
template.

-Lemm