Re: [Epic] Proposed IG army vs. Orks

From: Eugene E.W. <eug_at_...>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 1997 13:32:10 -0400

> From: Christian Nielsen
>
> Imperial Guard Supreme Commander
>
> 1 x Imperial Guard Colonel, in a Chimera and including a psyker
> 1 x Ogryn squad
>
> Total = 74 points
>
> Imperial Guard Infantry Detachment
>
> 2 x Command squads, both with psykers
> 6 x Imperial Guard squads, 2 with commissars
> 3 x Ratling squads
> 3 x Leman Russ tanks
>

> 3) Not much infantry; Hmmm... I would have preferred to take more
> infantry, but I only wanted to use my troops on the new bases. Don't
> ask why.
>
> Sit back and shoot. The infantry detachment will move slowly up the
> centre with the war engines, whilst the tank detachment will attemp an
> outflanking manouver. They will be supported by the artillery
> detachments, which will alternate firing their respective siege
> artillery. I considered taking titans, but I wanted an all IG force.
> Feels better to me, especially seeing that the IG has everything it
> needs without allies.

Your army seems fine: it'll be a problem if he brings a lot of speedsta's
with death rays, but even then your artilery could well destroy them before
they can hurt those precious tanks.

I commend your self discipline in not taking any marines at all,
espescially knowing that the increase in your command rating from 2 to 4
that a single marine detachment would bring would shift the strategic
advantage to your side...

I can't really blame you for not taking more infantry; I think it's very
unfair that full sized Imperial Gaurd detachments have to pay 75 points for
commanders rather than 25 -- or 0, like the 'Nids. One of the cool things
about the Gaurd in the old SM/TL was how easy it was for them to field
really big groups of sacrificial infantry; now, that's much more tricky.
Ironically, it is more efficient to field large infantry detachments by
buying them as armor detachments; you take 10 hellhounds (or perhaps
Griffons or Leman Russ's), and then you can field 20 stands of infantry.
My little gaming group actually uses a house rule where IG command stands
cost seven points each, and one must be upgraded to detachment HQ for +25
points.... sound familiar? This allows IG to realistically field big
infantry detachments, instead of just artillery and such. It can be hard
enough to persuade IG players to use infantry at all....

Do your command squads have captains? It's worth it to protect the Psykers.

Your armour detachment, I notice, includes sentinels. While mixing up
armour values in the same detachment can protect against overwatch fire
somewhat, I tend to prefer using sentinels with infantry; I find that
detachments with mixed armour values suffer heavy casualties -- it's a game
mechanic thing, but it can be important. If you field the detachment as is,
try to arrange it so that either the Leman Russ's eat up 4's and 5's that
would otherwise kill sentinels and hellhounds, or you sentinels and
hellhounds eat up 6's that would otherwise kill Leman Russ's. I prefer the
first arrangement, myself.

Regards, Eugene