Re: [Epic] Tactic Critique

From: Scott Shupe <shupes_at_...>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 1997 16:44:09 -0400

Mark A Shieh wrote:

> > Blech. Couldn't do that myself, most of my khorne
> > stuff is unpainted... that black, red & brass color scheme
> > is just boooooring.
>
> The three colors work okay together, and besides, those are
> just base colors. It's in the detailing and shading that I tend to
> try to be creative. I'm hardly trying to do my painting with 3 pots
> of paint and no mixing. :)

        Detail? Shading? On Epic figs??? Well, after seeing
Erik Rutin's marine stands (which have really nice looking skulls
painted on the friggin' shoulder pads) I guess it is possible.

        I'm just not inspired by Khorne figs. I don't know if
it's just the color scheme, the minis, thier total ineffectiveness
on the battlefield, the background, or what, but I just cannot
will myself to sit down and paint all those damn daemon engines
and LoBs I have lying around.

> > > But don't
> > > forget, the Cannon of Khorne is a Khorne engine,
> >
> > It's not a 'daemon engine'.
>
> Doh. I forget, what are they, Chaos Squat-built?

        Yeah, but then I think all of the chaos engines are
(at least they were in SM/TL), including the daemon variety.
Presumably the daemon engines have a lesser spirit (or spirits)
bound to them and the Cannons don't, although I don't think
the fluff is at all clear about just what makes the daemon
engines special.

> > Brass Scorps are one of the better khorne engines,
> > but they only had an armor of 3+, making them even more
> > fragile than the rest.
>
> True, but by sitting on a woodsy objective, you're hopefully
> not being shot at as much. And after the big guns die down a bit, you
> can push them to the edge of the woods and keep the -1 to hit cover of
> the woods.

        Hmmm... still, I think I'd rather have something else
for the points, especially when it comes to holding forest
objectives. 300 points will get you a minotaur/troll warband
plus some fiends, or 2 groups of bloodletters/horrors.

        The daemon engines' weakness is primarily a result
of facing off against shooty armies. I've played some Chaos
vs Chaos battles (lotsa fun) and used the khorne engines
there, and they worked really well (they weren't spectacular
or anything, but they certainly did their job).

Scott
shupes_at_...