RE: [Epic] scenarios

From: Francois Bruntz <fbruntz_at_...>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 02:20:10 PDT

You wrote :
> One of the local game stores ran a 40K campaign using an Axis & Allies
>board game as world map. I'm not sure how many of you are familliar
with
>this game, especially Francois (I'm assuming you're in Paris, France
and
>not Paris , Texas).

You're right, I'm in Paris, France, Europe, Earth. :)
I don't play Axis & Allies board games as I prefer Science-Fiction or
Heroic-Fantasy games...

> At first the very thought turned me off. The map is clearly
>of Earth, for
>one thing. It would give former A&A players an advantage, etc. But
>then I
>kind of warmed to the idea.
>
> There would be no problem with terrain generation; each
>"space"
>represented a suitably large area to have a battle in, and turns are
>simultaneous.
>
> I didn't get all of the details, but apparently the armies
>were made to a
>pre specified size and were devided according to the individual
>general's
>wishes. For E40K I would recommend no army smaller than a single
>detachment. With a little thought, it would be fairly easy to come
>up with
>some rules.
>
> For example, normal detachments move one space per turn, vehicle
>detachments could move two, and flyers could move four or six (consider
the
>range of modern jets).
>Players could note on a separate piece of paper what their detachments
are
>doing and then move ALL of the units from both sides simultaneously.
Then ,
>after one World size turn, campaign players would probably have enough
>battles to resolve to last for days or even weeks.
>
> I haven't really thought about rewards or penalties, yet. Perhaps each
>player could have a few ammo dumps, etc which could be placed at the
>beggining of the campaign and confer bonuses (bonii?) for controlling
that
>space.
>
> I've also toyed with the idea of supply lines and replacement of
losses,
>but whenever I begin to think of these things "my brain 'urts!" and the
>whole process quickly snowballs into another separate game entirely
which
>is not something that I personally want, even if it might be more
"realistic."

> Ideas?
>
> Luck, Christopher White

This looks like a set of campaign rules rather scenario ones, it can
be interesting but it could become complicated too...
I like Erik's campaign rules, they are simple (but not too simple)
and fast. You can find a word file of them on his site :
        http://www.openix.com/~rutins/fwar.htm

Francois Bruntz
Apprenti MIAGE (Universite Paris XII - IBM France)

Please visit my Epic page :
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Dungeon/2370/