Re: [Epic] roolzboyz: close combat weapons and holofields

From: Christian Nielsen <raveallnight_at_...>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 03:02:48 -0700 (PDT)

---Francois Bruntz wrote:

> Eugene wrote :
> >Well, the question is, does the catastrophic damage inflicted by
the
> close
> >combat weapon a "hit"? (Is it just me, or am I bringing up
questions
> along
> >these lines far too often?). The reason I ask this, of course, is
> that in
> >the stuff about holo-fields it says that they save on a 2+ against
> any and
> >all hits inflicted.
> >
> >The reason I don't think that holofields protect against close
> combat
> >weapons is that the rules for close combat weapons don't say
> >anything
> >except that the weapon "automatically inflicts catastrophic damage
> >on it.
>
> Of course, I agree with you Eugene, but when you resolve the close
> assault you never count the holofields, it should be fair to roll
this
> save because holofields should add a bonus during a close assault.
> On top of that, the rules say that the holofields save works even in
> Close Assault...

Yeah, but think about it. When a war engine without a CC weapon
engages another WE in CC, it is effectively blasting away with its
weapons at (very) short range, so it would seem fair to allow
holofield saves against hits caused in CC by WE's without a CC weapon.
 However, a WE _with_ a CC weapon slashes and hacks the air with it
(eg. an Imperial Titan makes a huge sweeping horizontal arc with its
chainfist at about waist height. A holofield would obviously NOT
protect the titan from what is effectively a "hack, slash and grapple"
attack (it does only project a swirling image in its _local_
vicinity). Its like, "Oh, he's not just there? How about a couple of
metres over there?" (slash, hack, slash).

Christian.

===
"90cm is short ranged?!? ...you must be an IG player."

                        Scott Shupe, 25/7/97

Visit my Epic homepage at
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Castle/4109