Re: [Epic] roolzboyz: close combat weapons and holofields

From: Mark A Shieh <SHODAN+_at_...>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 11:13:16 -0400 (EDT)

Christian Nielsen <raveallnight_at_...> writes:
> Yeah, but think about it. When a war engine without a CC weapon
> engages another WE in CC, it is effectively blasting away with its
> weapons at (very) short range, so it would seem fair to allow
> holofield saves against hits caused in CC by WE's without a CC weapon.
> However, a WE _with_ a CC weapon slashes and hacks the air with it
> (eg. an Imperial Titan makes a huge sweeping horizontal arc with its
> chainfist at about waist height. A holofield would obviously NOT
> protect the titan from what is effectively a "hack, slash and grapple"
> attack (it does only project a swirling image in its _local_
> vicinity). Its like, "Oh, he's not just there? How about a couple of
> metres over there?" (slash, hack, slash).

        Or alternatively, you could be facing two Eldar titan images,
and by attacking one, you run the risk of dropping your guard. Or, if
you feel that there's only one image, then you might run past the
Eldar Titan, and he'll get free swings at your back if you move to
engage the image that you do see. Or, you could plan for both of
these and use guns at short range against his guns at short range, in
which case there is no catastrophic hit.
        I'm no expert on holo field imagery though.

Mark