Re: [Epic] Tactic Critique

From: A. Allen McCarley <allen_at_...>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 18:21:41 -0500

> Could you post a list of questions that were in the last batch (plus
> any that are currently waiting on the next batch)? I'm just curious
> as to which were on the last batch versus waiting for the next batch.
>
> Thanks
>
> David

Sure. You make a good point. It probably *would* be helpful if people
knew which quesitons had been sent off and which were collecting in the
pending questions file. I'll set something up on the website for this.

Here are the questions that were in the last batch. (Sent off about two
weeks ago.

Q: [Editor's Note: This one has bugged me a lot too, but I wonder if
its just an attitude holdover from 2nd edition.] Can you overlap barrage
templates if your currently firing detatchement can place more than 1
(eg. loading up several templates on a particularly juicy target), or are you
required to spread out the templates over the target detatchment?
     a) You are free to overlap multiple barrage templates, as you see
        fit, in order to get the most enemy units under your templates.
     b) You may not overlap templates until all other units of the
        target detatchement have been covered.
     c) You may not overlap templates under any circumstances.
     d) You may only overlap templates under the following conditions:
        (Please specify.)

Q: On p. 90 of the armies book, the Chaos cultist detachment is listed as
being able to purchase a support weapon battery of 1 to 3 units. What are
these weapons? Are they the same as the Imperial support weapons?

Q: The rules seem to have been written with the general idea that a
detatchment has only one HQ unit at a time, with units lower on the
command chain taking over as their superiors are killed. The Imperial
Guard infantry, however, seems to have an unusual command structure in
that you are required to purchase three command units, and pay the 25
pt. surcharge for each, in order to field a full strength detatchment.
Does this purchase grant the Guard infantry three simultaneous command
units, and thus perhaps allow them to spread out a little more and take
better advantage of cover, or is only one of these units at a time
considered to be the detatchement HQ?
     a) All three units are simultaneously considered an HQ unit. All
         Guard units within the detatchment are considered in command
         so long as they are within 30 cm. of at least one of these
         units.
     b) Only one of these three units at a time is considered the HQ
         unit for the purposes of judging which detatchment units are
         within command.

Q: In my last letter to you, the following question was submitted, and
the following answer was given by you:

> Q: Page 37 of the rulebook states "Rampage units are so berserk that they may
> not retreat from combat. This means rampage units are always caught by enemy
> and destroyed if they lose a close combat."
>
> Does this refer only to those units within fifteen centimeters of the enemy,
> or all rampage units within a detatchment that loses an assault action?
>
> a) All rampage units within 15cm from the enemy will be destroyed.
> This destruction is because they are not allowed to retreat and
> will thus remain within the 15 cm "death zone."
> b) All rampage units within a detatchment that loses an assault action
> are destroyed, regardless of their distance from the enemy.
>
> A: Actually, its only Rampage units in base contact with an enemy that can't
> retreat, though I have to [say] that this point could have been made more
> clearly in the rule. The idea is that you get to roll two 'to hit' dice if
> you win, but you die if you lose!

Your answer went a long way towards clearing up our understanding of
Rampage units. However, your last sentence left us with another
question.

Suppose a detatchment including Rampage units loses a close combat with an
enemy detatchment. When you are rolling dice to determine casualties from the
assault, every unit in base to base contact from both detatchemtns gets to
roll to cause casualties. Do the losing units with Rampage:

       a) get to roll two dice as normal, then die
       b) get to roll one die, like a standard unit, then die
       c) just die

Q: Many units, especially commanders, may be "upgraded" to become units of a
different type. Often, this new unit type has many stats that are inferior to
those of the original unit. (Eg. Eldar Harlequin units can be "upgraded" to
Jetbike units. A Harlequin has an assualt value of 4, whereas a Jetbike
has an assault value of only 2.) When making such an upgrade, do you:

       a) Take the higher of each stat
       b) Use only the stats of the new units (plus the special abilites
          noted on the force list for the new unit).

The next batch will include (subject to my review of the rules):

1) What happens if both players want to pass in the shooting phase?

2) Precisely which objectives can be claimed by both sides?
a)only rescue
b)rescue and take-and-hold
c)other (please specify)

3) If a specific rescue objective belongs to player a, can player b pick up
the objective
a)only if player b destroys, in close combat, a unit belonging to playera
which is carrying the objective
b)at any time after player a has claimed the objective and the carrying
unit has been somehow destroyed
c)at any time

4) If player b has captured player a's rescue objective, and the unit that did
so is subsequently destroyed by, may player b pick up the rescue objective
using a different unit?

5) Why do the new Eldar suck? (Hmmm... might have to rephrase that one a bit)

6) Why are the new Eldar titans so unstoppable? (I guess this means the Eldar
don't suck....)

7) what happens to units out of command. Suppose a big chunk of a detachment is
isolated from the main group and sits out of command. According to the rules,
if I firefight them and win, they are destroyed. Now do they suffer 50% penalty
in the process? Who exactly is destroyed in that group, if I firefight/assault
only some of them? Do I put blastmarkers and on whom? Does the other part of
the det, containing the current HQ, get all the blastmarkers or do I score them
after the wipe-out?

There are a copuld more discussion/comments that have been sent in, but it
will take some work to rephrase them into the form of a question I can
pass along to Jervis.

Allen (The Q&A guy)
Check out the EPIC and EPIC 40K Q&A Pages at:
     http://work1.utsi.edu:8000/~amccarle/default.html
If you have questions about EPIC 40K and can't find the answers
in the rule books, send them to:
                    allen_at_...
They will be passed on to Jervis Johnson and Andy Chambers.