RE: Sv: Sv: [NetEpic ML] [v5.0] New Imperial units

From: Steve Kerry <steve_kerry_uk_at_...>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 13:53:37 +0100 (BST)

> ---->I take it that this is Rogue trader era??

Correct. My eyes just about popped out of my head
when I realised what they had done. IG troopers could
have AGLs (Auxiliary Grenade Launchers) which were
one-shot devices that fitted over the end of their
lasguns. They allowed the squad to shoot grenades up
to 10", instead of the usual hand-thrown 2" or 4". It
had a list of the available grenades - krak, frag,
toxin, anti-plant, and so on - which included vortex!
25pts apiece, so for 250 points you could equip the
whole squad with a one-shot vortex launcher (the whole
squad had to be similarly equipped). They got to
within 10" of something, everybody let rip with their
AGLs, then they turned and got the hell out of there!
You then had TEN vortex grenades running around in the
midst of the enemy ranks, nobody was going to survive
that. It was a pain keeping track of each one during
the end phase, too.

Most memorable vortex moment: way back in the early
days of 1st ed, I had a marine with an autocannon who
was attacked by a dreadnought. The dredd had a
lascannon so the marine was pretty much doomed. But
he ran behind a nearby vortex field and used it as
hard cover! The dredd couldn't shoot through it, and
the odds of survival from random vortex movement were
a lot higher than facing up to the dredd. The marine
survived for three rounds, peering out from behind the
vortex and shooting his AC at the dredd, before the
dredd went off in search of other prey. The vortex
never moved, and the marine lived to fight another
day!

Steve