Re: [NetEpic ML] [v5.0]Chaos army list

From: Albert Farr� Benet <cibernyam_at_...>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 22:52:41 +0100

I don't like the idea of reducing Chaos cards. It doesn't attack the problem mentioned previously. OK, now GD are easier to bring down, but the problem wasn't mixing GD, the problem was the possibility to field a really good choice of troops. This way we don't limit at all this advantatge. It's the same as ballancing SM for excessive deployment speed, reducing the number of void shields on titans.

I think animosity is the key to balance the advantage of such a big choice of (good) troops. The point is that mixing different chaos powers units, the chaos player gets a superior army. So, limiting the playability of such mixtures is the key to balance that advantatge (IMHO)

I proposed an idea of animosity rule. Some people think that makes the game a bit slow. While I don't agree, I keep thinking that's the right way to balance the army, so I expect other proposals people doesn't like the rule.

Also let me reply to those who think that my proposal slows the game too much, that figures in hand it's not so slowing. Since in a 3000 - 5000 point game, the number of detachments of a Chaos army is not SO large (and still they must be close to check animosity), the time loss is not significant. Ork armies also have to check wether Nobz are in distance, Tyranids have to check hive mind radius and IG also do for command radius. Has anyone even whispered about modifying this rules to speed up the game? Is it so stressful to measure 30cm and then roll a die before activating a detachment? I don't think so. It's just a matter of playtesting.

As every new rule, it seems it should bog down the game at the beggining, but after some games, people get used to it and the game doesn't slow any more.

Albert