RE: [NetEpic ML] Re:Slann book

From: ciber nyam <cibernyam_at_...>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 21:44:18 +0100

>[quote]
>Exodus SLANN
>I dont see why Exodus dune buggies should count as Skimmers for
>pinning....clunky. Give them Hit and Run maybe. [/quote]
>
>I just went over the fluff, and the rules for Hit and Run and
>Skimmers...
>They are simular but I think "skimmer" fits better.
>Here is my reasoning...
>1] Dune buggies can move quickly through terrain that other vehicles
>could not...
>skimmers are simular but they go over it instead of through it.
>2] Skimmers can not end their move in rough terrain.... dune buggies
>can.
>3] Skimmers can pop-up... buggies can't. Thus the modified skimmer
>rule of no pop-ups.
>
>a] This gives simular stats whichever the player chooses.
>b] It fits the fluff in that the Exodus have skimmer technology.
>c] It also fits the scarce resource idea for some planets, as well
>as the desert terrain theory.
>
>Thoughts?

Hi,

I think you are confusing pinning class and movement class. e.g. Greater
demons are Knights for pinning purposes but infantry for movement purposes.

A vehicle can only be a skimmer if flies/floats over things (but does not
fly as such).

Skimmer pinning class means that unit can only be pinned by Skimmer units of
the same (or higher) pinning class (vehicle, I presume). Hit & Run allows
unit to leave combat the following turn (if charging, but not if charged).

But if I understand correctly, the point is that you want buggies to evade
terrain movement penalties. It is not clear to me if those buggies are truly
anti-grav or are wheeled (the description is contradictory, since calls them
wheeled vehicle and skimmers) . If they are wheeled, it is inconsistent to
give them skimmer ability, since they cannot float over woods, rivers, lakes
or marshes anyway (that's why they cannot end their movement there).

I think the best solution for that case would be to create an ability for
cavalry and vehicles like 'off-road' (please, someone give it a better
name!) --> unit moves over rough terrain without penalty.

and for the same price, another special ability for non-skimmer units:
'Anphibious' -->Unit may move through lakes, rivers and marshes at half
speed.

Is that what you were wanted to point out?

Albert