Re: [NetEpic ML] How did you get into epic?

From: Joshua W Raup <deaconblue3_at_...>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 14:44:00 -0400

I didn't get into Epic until SM2 was out. Prior to that I had been
playing WH40K, from Rogue Trader onwards, including spin offs such as
SpaceHulk and Necromunda. Was having lots of fun designing uber-Dreads
for RT era marines (it slices, it dices, it doesn't carry a single
weapon), and having some silly fun with level 4 psykers. Shortly after
SM2 came out, I had some friends who were playing, and I thought it
looked like fun. I was sick of napoleonics at that point, and wanted a
good tactical mini game, on a larger scale than 40K. As I already had
experience with Micro-Armor, SM2 looked like it'd fit the bill. But I
dreaded having to paint all them infantry stands, so I didn't at first.
I had a pure armor and Titan force for Imperials. No infantry at all.
Nothing but IG and SM tanks and titans. It made for some interesting
games.
        As with Peter, it was the fluff and background that hooked me. It was
wonderfully dark and scifi gothic. Very gritty and "hard." It offered
tons of possibilities, even more so when the Realms of Chaos books came
out. Soon I found myself a servant of Tzeentch, seeking change across
the galaxy. So I began collecting stuff. Then Titan Legions came out,
and I said coll, an Imperator! Got it, painted it, and have since
fielded it three times. I even have a second one that I never finished.
It was a long road to bring me to NetEpic eventually. Figure it all
started with those great AH board games back in the mid-70's, to RPGs,
then into miniature games in the mid-80's. Epic wise, I went from SM2
and TL, to a brief, and unhappy trial with E40K, to finding NetEpic,
where I have been happy ever since. Though in recent times I have
managed to get most of the older stuff, including copies of AT, Codex:
AT, and SM1. Lots more fluff to use, truer (IMO), to the original RT era
stuff that hooked me in the first place.
        Now, I should also make mention of some of GW's other board games as
well. talisman (a perennial favorite), and Horus Heresy. Did anyone
here ever buy into the Mad Max rip-off dark Futures? Saw it, looked at
it, said nahhh.And, as a final note, I don't like 40K 3E. It's lost too
much of what I liked about the game. While second edition was flawed
(particularly concerning characters), they "fixed" too many of the wrong
things in third edition, and left the door open for some of the same
abuses from second. Also, I don't like the psyker rules either. But
then again, I could play a balanced game of Rogue Trader too....

Josh R
Minister for General Mayhem
"Don't let the bastards grind you down." Gen. Joseph Stilwell