Re: [NetEpic ML] IG/TG/SoB and all things Imperial

From: Joshua W Raup <deaconblue3_at_...>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 03:18:14 -0400

I'm really bothered at the idea of the AM mounting full scale ops on its
own. I just don't see it, nor do I have a fluff refrence for it. I'm
trying to stay true to the back story here, and unlike GW, trying to
avoid rewriting "history" to suit the "hot army list" du jour. Teh AM
(fluff wise), are loathe to risk their precious machines, unless ordered
to. These things just don't get rplaced that eaily should one get
toasted. Most of their forces are tied down, protecting the forge
worlds, and thus are not able to mount truly offensive operations. It's
not in their nature. they do however, provide much needed fire power to
IG armies, and SM armies when called on to do so. So, I don't see units
like the TG assault units as valid IMO. It's out of character for the
AM.
        Now I'm gonna pick a Kelvin a little (no offense here). If you have a
TG army, you have an IG army. There really isn't enough of a difference
between the two (except for a few support/special cards), and the units
are identical. So why not combine the two? It's a waste of space really
to have the two seperate army lists. I just don't see enough of a
difference to justify them being as they are.
        As for Knights...as I recall, they are quasi-independent holds, out on
the fringes of the Imperium. Normal rules are disregarded as they see
fit. They don't, IIRC, owe direct alleigence to either Mars or Earth,
but do have a nominal alleigance to the Emperor. they act in their own
interests, which at times may be at odds with Imperial wishes. I don't
believe they are truly part of the AM structure. It's why they have such
a close relationship with the Eldar Exodites.
        Maybe, what we need to do, is decide what is "canon" fore the backstory,
as we seem to have some variations here, that run the gambit. IMO, the
fluff and the game mechanics should blend smoothly together, making the
whole rather consistent. I think that some things have gotten a bit far
afield here, and maybe we need to make sure we're all working from the
same page.

Josh R
Minister for General Mayhem
"Don't let the bastards grind you down." Gen. Joseph Stilwell