Re: [NetEpic ML] IG/TG/SoB and all things Imperial

From: Joshua W Raup <deaconblue3_at_...>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 03:34:53 -0400

Hi all!

-->Greetings warprat!

We've been down this road before. Please do not combine the Tech Guard
and the Imperial Guard!

-->I don't see a good reason not too really. I have yet to see a fully
fleshed rationale for such a division, based on something other than
personal preference. Besides, you can still field a "TG" army, even if
we combined the two lists. Not like things would be that different
really.

Each belongs to a different branch of the Imperial Armed Forces.
Although they may resemble each other, and share some of the same units,
they support two completely different organizations. Mars and Earth.

-->Yes and no. Yes they are technically sperate organizations, with
slightly differing purposes. That said, the AM just doesn't mount large
scale offensive operations on its own. It's just not in their ethos (for
lack of a better term). They are primarily defensive as an organization,
while managing to support Imperial forces (SM and IG), across the galaxy.
 In what passes for "fluff reality," they aren't the crusading type. Not
since the Great Crusade and Heresy era.

The Mars/Earth alliance was forged by the Emperor, after years of
seperation. The forces of Mars and Earth are still seperated. Our
force lists should reqognise this difference as well. Mars had the
technology, but earth had the people. If you look at the force lists
for these two armies, you'll see the difference.

--->I again partially agree here. Most of the AM units should be limited
to support and special cards, reflecting their "actual" use in the
Imperium. This accurately reflects the role they have played, and do
play in the current game fluff. Now, I could see some special scenarios,
involving a strictly TG force, but not as a regular army list. I just
don't see a valid justification for it.

Mars controlls the Forge Worlds. The Tech Guard is thier own private
army. The Knight Worlds are simply raw supply worlds for Mars. The
Knight families owe alliegence to Mars. Mars owes alligence to the
Emperor.

-->I'm not so sure about the Knights here. As I recall, they are out on
the fringes, outside of the normal Imperial, and AM hierarchy. It's why
they have a structure all their own (Paladins, Errants, Castellans, etc).
 And why they do things pretty much as they see fit, even if it goes
against Imperial decrees.

Earth and Mars both support the Emperor and humanity, but both have a
different way of doing things. Neither would allow it's worlds, and
forces, to be ruled by the other.

-->Well, again, yes and no. The AM has no desire to rule the galaxy,
thus has no real need to conquor worlds. They get their cut for
supporting the IG and SM campaigns. The IG and SMs are the military arm
of the Imperium, and are the ones who go out and claim new worlds, or
reclaim those lost to the utland barabarians. The AM prefer to search
for lost technologies, develop new ones, and maintain their forge worlds.
 If they ned more resources, they get the IG or SM to go get the required
world for them. In return, the AM provide materials, and support units
to those armies. they just don't go out and do it themselves.

Warprat ;)

Josh R
Minister for General Mayhem
"Don't let the bastards grind you down." Gen. Joseph Stilwell