Re: [NetEpic ML] Just For discussion: IG Vs tyranid

From: Warprat <warprat_at_...>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 21:50:55 -0700

Hi Darius!

I sure didn't think the Deathstrikes were worth anything that day. But
there have been other times, when they have worked rather well for me.

The House Rules we use are:

1) Vortex and Warp missiles on Titans are a Special Card. We are
somewhat uncertain that the Warp missiles should require a Special Card,
but we are going with it, for now.

2) Deathstike Batteries are a Special Card. But I could see changing
this from a Special Card, to just awarding VP's when the missiles are
fired. Seems like a fair decision for all sides. The rare, hard
hitting Vortex warheads, are not available to IG, and shouldn't be..

My opponent was inexperienced with the IG, and pretty new to Chaos.
This was his first experience with massed artillery. His big mistake
was in rushing units up piecemeal. Kind of like the Charge of the Light
Brigade, every turn.

If instead, he had moved up carefully behind cover, THEN rushed every
thing forward, his chances would have improved greatly. He would have
overwelmed my ability to pound him with artillery. He would have taken
away the element I needed most, TIME.

My personal opinion is that the Astropath power, Guidance, is not
limited to helping only one unit per turn. Take a look at the other
powers, Beacon and Cancellation, VERY NASTY. Guidance should be nasty
as well.

The Astropath is a naturally powerfull guy, when pitted against the most
psychic army, Chaos. He is also something of an equalizer for the
pathetic CAF abilities of even the most highly trained normal men, the
Imperial Guard.

I had selected 2 Astropaths, for my battle, in case I had to sacrifice
one, using the Beacon power.

This brings up ANOTHER question. Beacon makes the Astropath visible to
all Psykers. Does this mean that Psykers can use weapons and physical
psychic attacks, like The Eye of Magnus The Red, can shoot through
buildings and woods when targeting the Astropath? My feeling is that
only non-physical psychic attacks, like the Eldar Warlocks "Eldritch
Storm", could target through obstructions.

I have found Chaos players to be tough opponents. I've lost more games
than I've won, against them. When played craftily, the Chaos Cards can
be devestating. The army takes its lumps moving up, but when it hits,
WOW. As the man said, in the clasic movie, Aliens II.

"Game over, man. Game over!" ;)

Warprat ;)