Re: [NetEpic ML] Just For discussion: IG Vs tyranid

From: warprat <warprat_at_...>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 01:34:50 -0700

Hi Albert!

I do the same thing. I like to find the weak spots too. Really, I like
your comments, AND your tactics!

FOR REAL CHEESE, READ BELOW!!!

I've pushed every rule I've ever played with. My ultamate sin was in a
Starfleet Battles campain....

The campain was in a pie shaped universe, divided into eight slices. I
allied with the Federation before the game began and gave my pal 95% of
my points. My entire fleet consisted of Web Tenders and Small
Explorarion Freighters armed with Probe Drones. Basicly, I was
defenseless.

I put the webs up around my planets, and agressively probed my neigbors
defenses. Most of them were alarmed by my agressive probing and left me
alone for a few turns. When an opponent did show up, I asked, "Do you
really want to enter that web?" I gave them the eager, crazed smile. ;)

One time, the empire on one of my borders, wanted to trade one of my
ships for thiers. I said "Sure, but it will take three turns to get it
to you, because it's patroling my other boarder". I lied. In truth, I
didn't even have ONE warship, it would take me three turns to build it.

Why did I do all this? Because of a rule loophole that said wounded
Federation ships without thier backend would be repaired whole again in
TEN campain turns.

Sooo, my Federation Pal, took his points and mine, and bought wounded
Federation Saucers. We held our breaths, and waited the ten turns.
When the other powers eventually attacked, they were VERY surprised to
find fifty fully functional Heavy Cruisers waiting for them.

The campain ended right there, and everyone groaned when we told them
what we had done. Which was too bad, because the campain had been a lot
of fun, up untill that point.

After that experience, and some others, I've learned to play a little
more evenly. I like to look for the weak points, but I'm more wary of
possible cheese, that could spoil the game.

As a side note:

I like the idea of the Diplomacy Game. It seams simple, without cheese,
and tiresome book keeping.

Warprat ;)