Re: [NetEpic ML] ramblings

From: Peter Ramos <primarch_at_...>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 10:37:55 -0400

Hi!

I recently updated the Heresy rules to fill in omissions, some answers
below.

Weasel Fierce wrote:

>> Remember to re-download the rules since I updated them to clear up some
>> omissions.
>>
>> All feedback welcome, I'm curious to see what results people get.
>

> Well, had a test fight (marines versus marines) this weekend and mor to
> come.
>
> The new version is good, and dropping order counters really smooths the
> game.

Yes, it does. Eliminating orders and all that goes with it streamlines
the game.

> One side-effect is that I found that assault troops can be stopped in their
> tracks by suppressing them, before they get a chance to move.

There is an omission here, suppressed troops are allowed to move if they
make their morale check (big omission for sure).

> This means that you have to move high-priority units first and wait with the
> not-so-imortant things. Very good.

Even with the above rule, you are still correct, the system puts a
premium on planning, you must strike desicively and quickly, random
movement with no prupose gets you outmanuevered and out-gunned pretty quick.

> A few specific questions though
>
> Generel rules:
> The new artillery rules seem great allthough arty sure is powerfull.
> However, are artillery able to fire directly, or do you always need a
> spotter?

Hehe, thats the catch! Art IS powerful, once template lands you hit
automatically, if the artillery could spot directly it makes it too
good, thus you need spotters, not anyone mind you but commanders and
recon units. Also it is not a given, low level commanders have on
average less than 50% chance to call in a strike successfully, so one
must be cautious. Higher level commanders have a better chance, as was
intended. With these rules you can prepare an assault area and soften it
up with bombardment prior to assault, thus killing or suppressing the enemy.

> Also, as I have understood the rules, artillery can activate itself and
> move, or wait until someone calls in a barrage and then be activated.
> Is this correct and if so, how does mobile artillery work?
> Can you move and fire when the barrage is called in, or can you move and
> then have the barrage called later??

This is badly worded and I changed it around somewhat. Artillery, for
the most part can move or shoot, so if you activate it and move it ends
its turn. If you activate the artillery itself it still needs a
commander or recon unit to spot. This is not a good way to do it, rather
it is better to activate the commander and call in a strike, if
successful, then both commander and artillery count as activated, but if
you activate the artillery you may find yourself running through you
commander to successfully call in the strike, not a good move since
doing it "commander first" gives you the option to change your mind. In
the case of mobile artillery they CAN move and fire in the same
activation, but still need a commander to call in the strike.

Hmmm... you know what you have convinced me to alter the "mobile
artillery skill" to make it more effective and less dependant on
spotters. Some units iin Heresy do have spotters on board ,so this skill
confers a leadership of 5 to the mobile artillery piece, also you may
still use the standard commander/recon but at a +2 bonus to leadership
for this check. hmmm.. sounds a LOT better, I will make this change. It
shows the difference between stationary and mobile pieces.

> Can units of heroes rally themselves? (I assumed that they can)
> Also, how many units can a hero rally? According to the rules, a unit of
> heroes can rally 2 units (as their LD bonus i +2) but as they can only
> command 1 unit it seemed that they can only rally one unit. This should be
> clarified however

The bonus does not refer to units commanded, they may only rally one
unit at a time, like any other commander in the end phase. A
commander/hero CAN rally themselves. I'll fit this in the wording.

> Orks:
> The reliability skill should still malfunction on a roll of 1 rather than
> not at all. Many reliable units have very good weapons. Having the potent
> mekaniak upgrades with no penalties is a bit oo good, especially for bad
> moons etc.

Hehe, good point, malfunction normally ocurrs on a roll of 1 or 2,
relaibility reduces that to one, I love it will add.

> Painboys do not have stealth, allthough they propably should ????

I did this from a fluff point of view, but you are probably right, I'll
add stealth.

> How come you cannot take a weirdboy on foot?

Well, I can't think of everything, thats what you are for LOL! Will add
wierdboy and minderz unit.

> Chaos:
> It appears that (in case of traitors and cultists) you must take LESS
> champions than lords.....shouldn't this be reversed as the lord is higher in
> the chain of command??

Uh.. I think its correct as is, champions are lower rank so you must
take LESS of them than lords (you proably meant MORE?).

> Shouldn't chaos whirlwinds be stubborn??

Sounds like a omissions, will rectify.

This was real good input, I'll have the updated books out to day.

Peter