Re: [NetEpic ML] Army character

From: <deaconblue3_at_...>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 17:36:16 -0400

Comments on Peter's list as follows:

Here's a simple list of what I think each army is, as far as what they
can and cannot have.

Space marine- Fast attack, mobile. Even if you dont use flier they
should be able to use t-hawks, its intergral to their battlefield
strategy. Units should be medium to small with close combat abilites.
Marines are not a shooty army, no unit should be better than their
devastators. They should have NO heavy artillery or tanks, everything
is light and quick to close ground.

-->The Sm Chapters are the RDF of the Imperium. They deploy quickly, are
good in CC as well as in a firefight. They can be shooty, but not over
whelmingly so. They can be in CC, but there are better. They have
moderate support when operating alone (which they do, but they also
operate in conjunction with the IG), but are not over powering in any one
aspect. They are generally good all around, but have nothing that is
truely a monster in any one aspect. Things also depend on the chapter
specifics. Some are far more specialized than others, and some have
special organizations that are not universal. I'd take each chapetr on a
case by case basis.

IG- Opposite of Space marine, generally slow moving with few rapid
deployment options in the form of special cards. They can have shooty
units, heavy artillery, mega-tanks, but not close combat giants. Their
units should be medium to large. Overall they should have very little
support cards since most resources are at the company level. This
makes a lot of companies scarce since points will preclude bringing
them.

-->Your basic IG trooper should be the base line from which the abilities
and such of all others are determined. They are the most prolific and
numerous of all the armies (Orks, Chaos, and Bugs are up there too), and
should have the most variety. IG infantry in general are weaker than
most of their opponents, while their strength lies in armor and support.
Thier infantry tactics are akin to Russia's of the early to mid 20th
century, and their armor tactics are similar to Guderian's ideas.
Neither example is exact, but there are close similarities. Ig
formations are based on the company, with attached support cards and
units, such as artiullery and flyers. The size of the battle dictates
the number of companies involved, and how much support is allotted to
them.

Eldar- small elite units. I dont mind good special abilities, they
need them becuase they are usually outnumbered. They are not
necessarily a shooting army, but those they have should be long range,
it fits with thier "keep at arms-length" doctine. Very specialized
troops, but not mixed, either they are close combat giants or shooting
monsters, not both. They should never have ANY heavy artillery not
very eldarish.

-->Eldar are the elite infantry of the universe. What they lack in
numbers and support, they make up for in terms of quality, and toughness.
 Their units tend towards severe specialization, with the extremes being
painful at times.

Orks- large crappy units. Its odd that the ors have no "tank" clans
when they use so much of them, no stompa mob company cards or
deathrolla clans. they all should be big and unwieldy. They should
have VERY FEW independent units and then they should be somewhat
unreliable (madboys, tinbotz). They can shoot alot, but their average
range should be 50-75cm, NEVER over that.

-->Orks should be taken in the theme of "mob rules" or controlled
anarchy. Almost like Chinese tactics in Korea, where they just overwhelm
you with numbers. Quantity, not quality is what counts here. Though I
will disagree in that the Orks should have "tank gangs" like the Cult of
speed. also, inter clan rivalries should be brought back IMO.

Chaos- problematic since its really several armies in one, easy to to
create fairly good army with few weaknesses, besides units added by
GW, I'd be VERY wary of giving them any more units.

-->Chaos is so varied already. Other than making company cards for the
individual CSM chapters (those that remain as chapters more or less), I
see no real need for anything more for them. The individual CSm chapter
cards should also tend towards specialization, and most should be aligned
with a specific Chaos god, and not Chaos undivided.

Tyranids- swarms or troops, or small groups of highly specialized
ones, keep regeneration skills low, theres alot of that already. I'd
add more specialized infantry before vehicle types. Perhaps some
cavalry type unts are in order.

-->Can't we just have a massive campaign and eliminate them from the
game? I'm all for that. no? You sure? Awwww, c'mon.....

Slann- good as they are, any attempt to add to them will end in
immediate extermination of the offender!

-->I have paid zero attention to the Slann stuff. Nobody in my group
plays them, or wants to play them. So, I won't comment here at all, as I
have no experience what so ever with them.

Squats- <evil grin>, I'll let YOU decide what they are....

-->Close combat tunnel fighters. A good ammount of support against drop
pods and orbiting ships. APCs, small tanks, support tanks, are all good
things for them to have. Exoarmor units, bikes, and soem close range
shooty units are all good things too. Not a lot of artillery, if any,
and everything should be designed with close range fighting in mind.
        On a side note, if anyone wants to do an interesting tunnel type
battle, try using the dungeon pieces from master maze. We tried out some
stuff a week ago with it, and it works fairly well. The dungeon pieces
are meant for 28mm figures, but most of the halls and doors and arches
and such can fit 3-4 epic stands (square) across. It made for a very
interesting fight.

Peter

Josh R
Minister for General Mayhem
"Don't let the bastards grind you down." Gen. Joseph Stilwell
Gott weiss ich will kein Engel sein -Rammstein