RE: [Epic] marine chapters (was: Orks with LandRaiders)

From: MCLAUGHLIN, RICHARD A. CPT <MCLAUGHLINR_at_...>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 09:33:24 +0200

----------
From: Miller, Chris[SMTP:CMiller_at_...]
Sent: Thursday, September 04, 1997 12:29 AM
To: space-marine_at_...
Subject: RE: [Epic] marine chapters (was: Orks with LandRaiders)

-----> Ah, another member of the choir - let me preach a bit more:
Your second sentence is what seperates reasonable people from
cheesemongers - " There's no rule that I can't take 50 stands of
terminators" or LR's or whatever.
May not be a rule, but at some point the background _must_ come
into play, and if you don't know a whole lot about the background,
why then let me educate you...
        This argument is similar to the "I don't have that WD so I don't
use that rule." Sorry, if there's been an official rules change
(which
WD is) and you aren't aware of it, that's your problem. I feel the
same way
about the background info. If your bud uses 2/3 autocannon termiess
 en masse in WH40K, I have a big problem with his <ahem> "Style of
Play".

>It is hard to find a balance. It is unrealistic (funny word to use
>when describing a game) to fight every Epic40K and 40K battle with
>armies consisting of 100% Elite forces. Sure it is fun to field such
>an unstoppable juggernaught once in a while. Wargammers don't like
>play armies made up of all Ratlings and Penial Legions either. I
>think you need to find a balance.
----> Yep, we've thrashed out the imperial all-star team a few times
on
this list too, or the ork player who wants to use 20 Land Raiders in
the
guise os "...but they're Blood Axes." Push the point system far
enough
and it will break.

Chris Miller

MadMac Responds,
Well it is nice that we agree, now if I can get my opponents to agree
(I've broken two clubs and bent my tire iron).
Sidebar: It is humorous to listen to "cheesy-reasoning". The Chaos
Player(40K) claims that his army is unbeatable and with all Khorne 2+
save terminators with HW he may be right. When he is accused of
playing an out of control army he claims that he is afraid of the
Eldar. The Eldar player does not help matters. Jon, the Eldar
player, also feels the All Term Chaos army is out of control, but he
tells the Chaos player he can beat it with an out of control Eldar
Army.
Well that's no help at all.

I listened to both of them talk out of both sides of their mouths for
4 hours while they played a game that neither of them enjoyed. I
found myself thinking, if I field all Wolfguard with Assault Cannons
and Cyclone ML (I know, not on the same terminator). No, I must not
go to the dark side! That would not be right };^')

So all of the 40K players are upset that all I want to do is play
Epic40K. But, I own 90% of the terrain so they are stuck with it.
 Bwaaaa Haaaaa Haaaaa!

I still have problems with the Supreme Commander. I don't like the
idea of not bringing one. All military operations have a single
tactical commander in charge of all ground forces.

In a related note. Targeting: I do not think all units should be
able to ignore closer detachments for juicer targets. Now before you
"Flame On", remember I said not "all". Titans and other special
"elite" units could probably ignore targeting restrictions because
they have special missions and priority of fires (as in 40K).

Picture if you will, a detachment on fall back order is covered with
blast markers. Another detachment at 100% strength moves forward to
engage the enemy units pursuing his comrades. This is called
"Bounding Overwatch" and "Covering Fire" (A very good thing in combat
if you are the unit covered with blast markers I might add). IIRC the
enemy can ignore the unit attacking it and fire on the fall back unit
even though it is farther away or even BEHIND another detachment.
 COME ON!

Well that's my opinion.

MadMac