Re: [Epic] Couple Questions

From: Alan E & Carmel J Brain <aebrain_at_...>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 12:51:20 -0700

Mark A Shieh wrote:

> Nope, not a hundred. But some of the MIA off the top of my
> head are
> IG Assault
> IG Jetbikes

Umm. IG Jetbikes weren't in SM2. Neither were Marine Bullock Jetbikes. A
lot of things never made it into SM2. For example, Human Bombs & Penal
Legions.

> Wierdboy Battle Tower (but I'm actually glad in this case)

Well, it is, but as Psykers have generally been greatly de-grossified,
this is but a shadow of its former self. No great loss IMHO, it was just
a bit TOO powerful. Of course, so were many other things, and the E40K
LR is greatly unbalanced too. Gargants no longer have the
Kill-A-Titan-with-one-shot Gutbuster Ball round, and Tyrannid BioTitans
are now complete wimps. The first is liveable-with, as Titans are
generally more vulnerable, but the last is definitely a crock. E40K has
its flaws, no doubt.

But....
anyone ever use a Hellbore in SM2? Remember the Monster it was in SM1?
How about the Imp Gd Leviathan, with it's command rule? What about the
dreaded Barrage of Deathstrike Missiles, so for 1000 pts you could put
out an average of 35 barrages in one turn?

IMHO, and despite its faults, E40K is by far the better system. Most of
the things that are wrong with it can be fixed up by adding additional
units WITHOUT additional special rules. The few special rules that are
needed - eg 'Medic' giving a save to one other unit in the detachment,
'ForceField' which adds a Barrage Marker to an enemy detachment you
contact in the Assault Phase, can be added with a few words, and no
horrible interaction problems. A Trygon's filed is the same as a Wave
Serpent's field, they're both ForceFields.

As for the removal-of-flavour that's in E40K, amalgamating all Ork
BWagons into one amorphous type, this is just an extension of the
pernicious practice first found in SM2. Yes, SM2. Where all
Battlewagons, be they armed with Squigg Catapults,
lots-of-small-shooty-things, or One Big Muvva Of A Gun all had the same
stats. E40K just extends this to the rest of the Ork vehicles. IMHO
there should be more differentiation, something along the lines of:

Transportas : FP 0, AF 1, carries 3 units
Rollas : FP 1, AF 4, carries no units
Shootas : FP 2, AF 1, carries no units.

Total : FP 3, AF 6, carries 3 units, same as 3 Battlewagons. Of course,
being Orks, you don't get to control who's on the front line, all the
Boyz want to be In Wiv Da Onions. So treating everything as having
standard Battlewagon stats isn't too bad.

For myself, I might just work on an E40K+. With less than 6 new rules
(some of which are already in the CJ), plus all the weapons and troop
types that have appeared before in Epic, even the ones left out in SM2.

--
 abrain_at_...  o OO*O^^^^O*OO o oo     oo oo     oo