RE: [Epic] Couple Questions

From: Miller, Chris <CMiller_at_...>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 08:56:10 -0500

>> Very true, but I don't think the word "extort" is used in reference
>> companies other than GW. At least, I haven't seen it used against other
>> companies, and this is not the first time I've seen it in reference to
>> GW.
>
><snip-o-matic>
>
>I have seen it applied to TSR, Fasa & Wizards of the Coast.
>
>TSR: The whole AD&D vs AD&D 2nd Ed vs D&D and which of these dozen books do
>really need to play? Not to mention their (in the "glory days of TSR)
>x-thousand
>modules in x-hundred game worlds.
------> Been awhile since I've seen TSR called this. The 2nd ed
changeover started in 1989
(can it really be that long) and didn't change that much as far as
making old stuff
unuseable, other than the rulebooks themselves. I think this is actually
a pretty good example
of how to upgrade a system without screwing things up too much.

>Fasa: Walk into any game shop. Find the Mecha rack(s). Find out what you
>need to
>use to play the damn game. Good luck.

------> Never have heard this - You need the boxed B-tech set for about
30$, includes stand-up
figs. You can add tech read-outs, mini's, RPG rules, etc but you don't
_have_ to. I think B-tech
is far less expensive to get into as a game, because you can spend 5-6
bucks on a mech mini
and you have a discrete useable unit. You don't have to match it up to
other specific units of a given
type or buy a certain quantity. People tend to paint them individually
so unit organization
doesn't matter too much.
        To go mini's only, You need the Rulebook, 25$ or so, and say, 4 mechs -
another 25-30$.
You might want a tech readout at 15-18$, but you don't have to have it
as you can design your
own mechs in the main rulebook. I'd like to see GW take a little more
of this: RULEBOOKS
 AVAILABLE SEPERATELY concept and the idea of keeping a coherent
background the way
FASA does with most of their products.

Chis Miller